The Firearms Forum banner

1910? Ross .303 (factory stock?)

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  nmckenzie 
#1 ·
Hello more knowledgable than me!
I recently inherited what I thought was a good condition 1910 Ross .303? The only thing I could find wrong with it was a missing factory butt plate. I ordered a 1910 one from Numrich but as you can see it definitely doesn't fit.
Can anyone tell by the markings what I have or did my grandpa actually cut the factory stock?
Thanks,
Confused & Bewildered!
? None of my pics will upload from my phone, what am I doing wrong?

#4 ·
Argh, it has indeed been cut, probably with intentions of installing a recoil pad judging from the amount of wood removed. Can this situation be salvaged? Well, sort of. Bubba'd Ross 1910 stocks show up on fleaBay from time to time, so if you want to put the time and effort into it, the last inch or so of a sporterized stock could be added to the shortened stock of your rifle. You'd end up with a fairly extensive stripping, blending and refinishing project, and the join between the two pieces would always be visible, but you'd be able to mount the original plate and have a reasonably authentic looking Ross 1910. I've read that there's a Canadian stock maker who does periodic runs of repro stocks for the 1910, but I'm afraid I can't help you with any contact info.

#5 ·
Serves me right for concentrating on your photos of the butt plate and ignoring the photo of the entire rifle. Your 1910 seems to have been well on its way to being sporterized; along with the area removed where a recoil pad would normally be fitted, the forward portion of the stock has also been removed. The barrel doesn't seem to have been shortened, which is a plus, and the original front sight assemby's all there, so it looks as if you're going to be hunting for a replacement stock and handguard. Bummer.

#6 ·
Just measured mine---14 5/8" from the center of the crossbolt in the stock to the end of the
butt, parallel with the barrel. Looks like you are missing an original stock, top wood,
nosecap and they also had a front sight hood on them. Good luck. There was an outfit in the UK
making repro nosecaps, but for the stock just keep looking. Mine is sporterized very much like
yours----haven't found a full stock for it in 15 years of off-and-on looking.

#8 ·
That's exactly what I did with a partially sporterized 1905 (shortened barrel, recoil pad etc.) that surfaced at our LGS a while back. Always wanted a 1905 with US markings and such, but figured this sporter was about as close as I'd get to one, so it ended up in our rack. Came within an ace of buying a replacement barrel that popped up for sale on line, but then came to my senses and realized I could make a career of finding the rest of the parts. Within a month or so my C&R go-to guy got in touch asking if I still wanted a Ross 1905. He had one, US surcharged, with bayonet, scabbard, Kerr sling etc. etc. Thus, we now have two '05s in our rack. Go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.