1911-22's and 1911 22 conversion units testing

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by LDBennett, Jun 27, 2012.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The new Guns and Ammo came today (August 2012) with a very good article on 22 pistols and conversion units. The basis of the articles is 22 guns that look like a 1911 or use a 1911 lower. I'll leave it to you to read the article but here are a few interesting facts from the article:

With selected ammos, both Standard Velocity and HIgh Velocity all tested with the same ammo (except some guns or conversion would not operate on SV ammo), the best average for all the ammo across each gun had the results shown below, best first preceded by the average group size for all ammos.

0.78 in...Marvel Conversion Unit no.1
    1.05 in...Kimber Super pistol
    1.08 in...Tac Sol Conversion Unit
    2.00 in...Colt ACE Conversion Unit with floating chamber
    2.31 in...Kimber Conversion Unit
    2.51 in...Marvel Conversion Unit No. 2
    3.46 in...Walther/Colt Government Model pistol (Umarex w/ pot metal frame)
    3.49 in...Browning 1911-22 pistol (85% size clone)

A surprise was the high placing of the Colt ACE, but no surprise was the first place finish of the Marvel Conversion Unit No. 1. Mine is a winner too. The Marvel Unit No.1 shot a 0.31 in group with Lapua 40 gr Midas Plus...how about that!

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

How many shots per group (e.g. 5 or 10 shot)?

What distance was the testing done at?
  3. LDBennett

Hammerslagger:

I could not find that info in the article so you just have to use the info provided as a relative measurement between the different guns and conversion units.

They did say the Marvel Unit No. 1 from the test came with a factory test target shot at 50 yds (five shot group) that measured 0.619 in. Now that is accurate in the extreme (50 yds!). In years past most all the Marvel Unit No. 1's came with test targets (@50 yds) with groups that we no bigger than 5/8 inch and that was not the best group fired but the typical one. I don't know how the test targets for the Marvel Unit No. 1 work today as the original owner left the company and who knows if the same controls are in place today. But based on this article they very well might be (??).

The article is well worth the read. It really shows how the Marvel Unit No. 1 compares to other conversion units and to the Kimber Super. The key, I believe is the barrel, the sights, and the frame all tied together ( the bolt is all that moves in recoil) and the author feels it also has something to do with the way the Marvel Unit No. 1 holds the conversion unit on the 1911 frame with an allen screw.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Thanks for the additional info LDB.

Any .22 LR semi auto pistol that can shoot 5/8" groups at 50 yards is "world Class" for accuracy.

I will have to get a copy of the magazine that you mention and read the article.
  5. LDBennett

Hammerslagger:

Try the Marvel Precision web page. It is hard to navigate but usually has a lot of good info on their products. By the way the unit No. 1 is the accuracy model and the Unit No. 2 is the tactical practice model:

http://www.marvelprecision.com/unit1.php

LDBennett
  6. Lee D

Lee D New Member

i recently picked up the Browning 1911-22 for no other reason than i knew id later regret it if i walked away from the table without it, and it is an absolute blast to shoot. due to the basic sights i doubt it will hang with my target pistols, but thats not what it was designed for. so far my youngest daughter and i have put near 800 rds of various ammo thru it shooting clay pidgeons, milk jugs, and paint cans and it has been 100% reliable. Hannah has very small hands, but has no problems running the little pistol so this is her new favorite plinker. my only complaint is considering the price i wish theyd have included a secong mag, but im sure i'll pick up a couple in the future.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  7. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

My Marvel unit 2 will hold 1.5"'s @ 25 Yards. Good enough for me.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. LDBennett

To be clear:

The accuracy Marvel is the Conversion Unit No. 1, as possibly used in bullseye competition.

The tactical practice conversion unit is Unit No. 2, as used for defense shooting contest practice.

They are not equivalent nor meant to be.

Interestingly, according to the Marvel Precision they have a limited number of Conversion Unit No. 2's with barrels that will not pass testing for Unit No.1's. They imply that most shoot better than the regular Unit No.2 barrels. Visit their web page for details.

LDBennett
  9. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Talked to a manager when I bought mine, the defective #1 Barrels in the #2 slide were not much better than the #2 units. She told me it wouldn't be that more noticeable.