1911 40-rd Drum Magazine

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by FloridaFialaFan, Sep 11, 2006.

1. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

Am considering buying one of these drum mags STRICTLY as a collectible. I'm a collector, not a shooter. Over the past decades I've seen oddball stuff come up for sale and laughed them off. In later years I was wishing I had bought the oddball item when it was CHEAP. Never know what's gonna' be a collectible in the future. Anyone got any experience with them, or comments? They're about $70 with S&H so no big deal moneywise. ---FFF

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, there IS a place for all of God's creatures: right next to the potatoes and gravy.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I shot a 1911 with a 40 round drum a few years ago. It was heavy and bulky but seemed to shoot ok, but hard to get on target fast. I'd hate to have to use one in an IPSC match. :D Good for a collector....bad for a shooter.
  3. hugemidget

hugemidget New Member

I have'nt used one but, I bet thier heavy. The first time I saw one I just chuckled. Kinda goofy I think.
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

They work great I recomend buying a couple. Cause if their is another high cap ban it will be worth big bucks
  5. FloridaFialaFan

Many thanks for the comments, gang. I'm ordering one. Something else to consider is the number of 10/22 fans out there. Could come a day that future 10/22 owners will be fighting to find a drum for their favorite firearm. THIS drum has a lot more class/style than those long, clear plastic "drums" I've seen advertised. I wouldn't own one of those if for no other reason than they're ugly - to me at least. ---FFF
  6. southernshooter

I don't know where your planing on ordering from but Sportsmanguide has them right now for $59.99 Also checkout the auction site you might be able to pick a few up for that price
    www.sportsmansguide.com
  7. FloridaFialaFan

THAT'S the online catalog. I was introduced though by their printed catalog, which I hang onto for reference. Yep, the list price is $59.97, THEN there's shipping cost, plus their mandatory insurance. Works out to be closer to $70 per copy - unfortunately. FFF
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  8. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I have tried to order one several times but they are always out of stock when I tried I want one for my carbine, it takes standard 1911 mags.
    Ron
  9. FloridaFialaFan

358 Winchester - Hey, Ron, HOW did you order, mail, phone, or Web? That really seems weird. Why advertise if you can't deliver? Makes me wonder. I've held off order until we get back from vacation. Don't want packages like this being held at the PO or by a neighbor looking after regular mail. Too many problems with that.

Your comment certainly makes me wonder. Was this the same company as we've discussed above? Thanks for any additional info. ---FFF
  10. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hell, no need to pay money for a hi-cap magazine. Y'all need a 50 round white box of 45ACP from Wally World and a roll of duct tape to secure it to the mag well. Just turn upside down and shake to load. A little heavier that that 40 rounder, but it gets lighter as you shoot it! :D :D :D :D :D :D
  11. southernshooter

12. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

I have a 30 round drum mag for my 1911's and it is heavy and it is a bear to load but you can sure shoot for a while!