1911 A1 Ithaca help!!

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by oldmanwithgun, Jun 29, 2009.

1. oldmanwithgun

oldmanwithgun New Member

I purchased this gun in 1979 from a close friend who told me he inherited it from his uncle who acquired it as surplus and had never fired it. Except for an occasional cleaning I paid little attention until I decided to sell it (still not sure I want to) but then I realized the gun was not a typical US .45. The gun is all Ithaca as slide and receiver have the Ithaca ID's (arrowhead, 7 on trigger housing, High Standard barrel, and Ithaca gun co.,inc, Ithaca,n.y.) The grips are matching Katy star 7's,. It has no military or US markings, but it does have a crudely stamped sn on receiver of 1(?)47581 and under the left grip a finely machined sn1477362I. I have heard the suggestions, "it could be a lunch pail gun", It could be a cobbled together depot gun, but these descriptions are defied by the gun...why put any ID marks on a gun stolen from purloined pieces or why take the trouble to make it all itaca with no alien parts. It does not have the "exploding bomb" proof in receiver but does have the proof "P" in front of rear sight. Pictures are attached and thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

it might of been a export ? but if sent to england (lend lease) it would be british proof marked. but that would explain why it's not stamped us property. had to tell right now but let me check on some books i have maybe i can find a answer
  3. oldmanwithgun

oldmanwithgun New Member

Thanks any help or information is appreciated....I have other pictures but they add little to the original post
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the Forum oldmanwithgun, that is a clean looking bore for sure. I looked at several 1911's this weekend at a gun show. I saw couple of Ithica's that didn't look anywhere as clean as that one appears.