1911 advice

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Gail of Maine, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Gail of Maine

Gail of Maine New Member

I am selling my new Diamondback 380 acp and looking for a 9mm. Someone has offered to trade a 1911 and I have requested more info. Are all 1911 manufacturers reliable? What are they worth used, lets say good condition? Why would someone want to trade a 1911 for a $350 gun? What do I watch out for? Any advice? Wish I knew more about the 1911 except that I shot one once. :eek: !!! Thanks for any help.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

First question is who made it? Saying "1911" is like saying "pickup truck". Lots of people make pickup trucks. Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Datsun, Toyota.

As to, "Are all reliable?" - no. I'll admit, I'm a bit of a gun snob, and there are many who will disagree with me, but you could not give me a Taurus 1911. You could not give me a Philippine-made 1911.
  3. Gail of Maine

Gail of Maine New Member

not sure of make, trying to get some info b4 guy e-mails me back with more info so I know how to respond and not get "taken" as I am new to firearms.:eek:
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Perhaps you will accept a bit of advice. If you are new to firearms or even new to one type of gun, I strongly suggest you not buy on the net. For one thing, you will have to pay to have the gun sent to your local dealer; the law doesn't allow it to be sent directly to you. Then the dealer will charge a fee for doing the required federal and state (if any) paperwork. So, in the end, a bargain may not be a bargain after all. And it is all too common for guns being sold that way to have problems which the seller will not address once you have the gun.

I recommend you check out some local gun shops, and talk to the people. You can also look at a variety of guns and decide which you like. If you are fortunate enough to have several stores in your area, you can decide which one is the most helpful.

Jim
  5. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo New Member

Have 5 1911's from Taurus, colt,Kimber , Rock Island and Springfield. All of them work great I carry my Rock Island and Kimber and my Taurus is the most accurate of the bunch. So yea, I'd take a rock island or a Taurus anyday.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  6. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

Depending on who made it might be they cant handle a real weapon. Jump on it but check it good.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    When you get that info, let us know what make of gun this guy is wanting to trade you. Is he in the same state that you are in?

If he wants to trade you even up, then his gun can't be worth more than $350! I think your instincts are dead on.
  8. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

I recall that Auto-Ordnance 1911's were not highly thought of. Also, a full size 1911 seems kind of heavy and bulky for an 8-9 shot 9mm nowadays. That will make it more pleasant to shoot, but less pleasant to carry for that amount of firepower. Just my $.02, of course.
  9. Gail of Maine

Gail of Maine New Member

Thanks... I'll post when I hear from him. He is in my state, it was a local listing I placed. I was researching and most 1911's are in the upper hundreds so I can't imagine it being a good deal for me but I'd rather listen than just pass on it. I really don't want a full size pistol anyway which is why I bought the acp but the slide is too hard for me to rack. Its really tight, my instructor said if I rack it enough it will loosen up but I don't think I have that much time in my lifetime to get that where I am comfortable with it. I tried a few others at training and in his shop and they were a lot easier so....
  10. ozo

ozo Active Member

Gail,
    my advice is keep your .380
    and buy another gun that you next think you like,
    you most certainly will be glad you did....down the road.
    If you like the size of your Diamondback and like the .380,
    get a Bersa .380 for it won't set you back much $$$$-
    it's balanced-dependable-and shoots very well and accurate.
    Bersa Thunder .22's and .380's have been made the same so long
    they have the kinks worked out....and they cost less than a D-back.
    One of the best reasons is the short feed ramp on a Bersa Thunder.....
    it feeds the round very well into the chamber resulting in the least
    amount of jambs and stovepipes and mis-feeds, etc.
    Racking is also easy.
  11. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Ditto. The Bersa is a GREAT gun.
  12. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Welcome aboard Gail. It could be that the right lube could make a 1911 slide a little easier to rack, but mostly what makes a 1911 hard for some people to rack is what is necessary to make it function properly. If you find one that's very easy, it almost certainly has a weak recoil spring.

I trust that with time and practice it would get easier for you, but for right now you want something that you can handle easily. But there is more than one way to grasp the slide and different grips work better for different people.

The way I was taught in the military was to place my hand over the slide and grip with your whole thumb on one side and several fingers on the other. Now I tend to prefer the slingshot method which is to grip the slide from the rear between thumb and forefinger. Another thing that helps some people is instead of pulling the slide back, you push the frame forward.

In any event, I think I'd pass on this particular offer of a trade right now. Dittos on the previous endorsement of Bersa pistols. I can only speak from experience for the Bersa Thunder 9mm...it is a great piece...and if you got a 13 rd (Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm UC) plenty of firepower.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  13. Munch

Munch Member

I'm a big fan of 1911 style pistol, and beat myself up daily for getting of the one and only that I've owned. I am however, a fan of the .380 as well. I will echo the praise that Bersa has been given in this thread. They are just a good firearm. Your pistols and all weapons are a matter of preference and feel. If a firearm is uncomfortable to you or doesn't "feel" right, you're likely to not use it, thus becoming more unfamiliar with it. Get something that you want to shoot everyday!
  14. whirley

whirley New Member

15. whirley

whirley New Member

That's excellent advice. Deal with your local firearms store. Then if there is any problem, it can be solved on a face to face basis. Work with a local reputable gun shop and people you know. A common scam on the internet is to advertise something, then after the buyer sends money, just never deliver the item. I don't know of any law that protects people from internet theft. Buyer beware!