1911 and California's Safety Testing Rooster

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by LDBennett, Jan 14, 2008.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

In a trip to

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=81127

I discovered that I was wrong about the elimination of the 1911 guns from availability NEW in California because of the lack of a chamber loaded indicator and, if it has a detachable magazine, a magazine disconnect mechanism.

Apparently once on the list the manufacturer only has to pay the $200 fee (bi-annual?) and the gun stays on the approved rooster of "Safe Guns" that can be sold in California. There are already a bunch of 1911 on the list so unless manufacturers fail to pay their fee, the guns can stay there indefinitely (at least until the CA legislature passes a law that changes that, which they are like to eventually do if the past is a predictor of the future).

Here's the key phase in the law that covers guns already on the list:

"(5) Commencing January 1, 2007, for all center fire semiautomatic pistols THAT ARE NOT ALREADY LISTED ON THE ROSTER pursuant to Section 12131, it does not have both a chamber load indicator and if it has a detachable magazine, a magazine disconnect mechanism."

This section of the law describes guns that are not allowed to be sold in California as NEW or USED guns from a dealer. Note any new model gun will have to have the loaded chamber indicator and the magazine safety and pass the safety testing. Guns sold between CA residents (USED and called Private Party Transfers) are not subject to any of the safety testing or loaded chamber/mag safety requirements.

I think this is good news for us 1911 lovers!

LDBennett
  2. Silverfoxsequim

Silverfoxsequim New Member

Good ol' California. By the way...what is a magazine disconnect?
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It is a magazine safety device that makes the gun inoperable if the magazine is not in the gun and seated. That means if there is a round in the chamber and the gun's magazine is removed then you can not fire the round in the chamber. Some genius invented this as a solution to a non-problem.

LDBennett
  4. Silverfoxsequim

Silverfoxsequim New Member

Hummmm. Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Now if they can just get the microstamp on the end of the brass I'll feel much safer.:D:D