1911 barrel bushing vs. bull barrel

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by lonewolf204, Aug 2, 2011.

1. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

What's yalls opinion on the 1911s with the bull barrel and no barrel bushing vs. the regular 1911s with a barrel bushing? How's the accracy between the two?
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

While a tight bushing on a standard barrel is a start at getting better accuracy out of a 1911, a loose fit of the slide to the frame and of the barrel to the slide will most certainly kill accuracy. A cheap addition to the barrel bush is the Wilson Combat Dwyer Group Gripper. Through a small spring in the recoil spring guide, and a notch in a special barrel link, the barrel is pushed up into the slide with enough force to make the barrel/slide return to exactly the same place with every shot. In my case it reduced my group sizes by about 30% (with the fitted barrel bush).

No amount of heavy barrel is going to make up for a loose slide to barrel fit and/or a loose slide to frame fit.

But this is just my experience (and that of Jerry Kuhnhausen):

http://www.amazon.com/Colt-45-autom...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312316130&sr=1-1

LDBennett
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I prefer a precisely fit barrel bushing myself.
  4. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

LD, I have that book and like it very much. I have a few 1911s and like them the way they are now, But I have seen some Kimbers without the barrel bushing and with a bull barrel. I was just asking for opinions to see what other people thought of the bull barrel. I have not shot the bull barrel and was just wondering about it and I know a lot of you have a lot more experiance than I on the defferance. I thank you for your response.
  5. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

I have both types of 1911s. I can't tell that there is any difference in accuracy or function. I do prefer the bushing style, more traditional, I guess, and I find field stripping to be simpler. Regardless, I wouldn't pass up a great deal on a bull barrel 1911!

6. Spooge

Spooge New Member

The conical/bull barrel is supposed to help reduce muzzle flip; I have 1911s with both types of barrels and have yet to see any evidence of that.
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

My colt defender is a bull barrel gun and for a 3" gun it is very accurate. I have been carrying my smith commander, but my colt has been calling my name some lately.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Spooge:

Your impression is right. The physics of it says that the recoil force is above the wrist and that distance above the wrist creates a lever for the recoil to work on, causing the gun to rise. A sherical bushing can not make a difference in muzzle flip, in my opinion and that of science, as I understand it.

LDBennett