1911 barrel bushing vs. bull barrel

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by lonewolf204, Aug 2, 2011.

1. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

What's yalls opinion on the 1911s with the bull barrel and no barrel bushing vs. the regular 1911s with a barrel bushing? How's the accracy between the two?
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

While a tight bushing on a standard barrel is a start at getting better accuracy out of a 1911, a loose fit of the slide to the frame and of the barrel to the slide will most certainly kill accuracy. A cheap addition to the barrel bush is the Wilson Combat Dwyer Group Gripper. Through a small spring in the recoil spring guide, and a notch in a special barrel link, the barrel is pushed up into the slide with enough force to make the barrel/slide return to exactly the same place with every shot. In my case it reduced my group sizes by about 30% (with the fitted barrel bush).

No amount of heavy barrel is going to make up for a loose slide to barrel fit and/or a loose slide to frame fit.

But this is just my experience (and that of Jerry Kuhnhausen):

http://www.amazon.com/Colt-45-autom...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312316130&sr=1-1

LDBennett
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I prefer a precisely fit barrel bushing myself.
  4. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

LD, I have that book and like it very much. I have a few 1911s and like them the way they are now, But I have seen some Kimbers without the barrel bushing and with a bull barrel. I was just asking for opinions to see what other people thought of the bull barrel. I have not shot the bull barrel and was just wondering about it and I know a lot of you have a lot more experiance than I on the defferance. I thank you for your response.
  5. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

I have both types of 1911s. I can't tell that there is any difference in accuracy or function. I do prefer the bushing style, more traditional, I guess, and I find field stripping to be simpler. Regardless, I wouldn't pass up a great deal on a bull barrel 1911!
  6. Spooge

Spooge New Member

The conical/bull barrel is supposed to help reduce muzzle flip; I have 1911s with both types of barrels and have yet to see any evidence of that.
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

My colt defender is a bull barrel gun and for a 3" gun it is very accurate. I have been carrying my smith commander, but my colt has been calling my name some lately.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Spooge:

Your impression is right. The physics of it says that the recoil force is above the wrist and that distance above the wrist creates a lever for the recoil to work on, causing the gun to rise. A sherical bushing can not make a difference in muzzle flip, in my opinion and that of science, as I understand it.

LDBennett