1911 Compatability

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CBR1000RR, Oct 16, 2004.

1. CBR1000RR

CBR1000RR New Member

Let me start by saying from what I've seen so far this forum is great, I have been a longtime lurker, now just registered...

My question is about compatability/quality issues with 1911's manufactured by companies like Rock Island/Armscor, Llama, etc.(1911 govt/comm knockoffs) I have shot a rock island govt model 5" 1911 and it was pretty good and solid feeling like a normal 1911. My friend owns this pistol and says hes shot about 2000 rds through it so far w/out a problem... So what's the deal with the $350 price tag? Is it just because these are not as well known companies such as Colt, Kimber, springfield, etc. or is the production/material quality suffering as well? Finally, will these pistols accept custom 1911 aftermarket parts as I would like to do some tinkering.. Or should I just wait till I got the cash to shell out for a colt or kimber?
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

The RIA pistols seem to be pretty-much OK. I have a stock model here to do quite a bit of work to, so I'll update when I'm done.
  3. punchie

punchie Member

One of the main problems with the off-brand 1911s is the lack of consistant quality control, both in raw materials and assembly. If you get a good one that shoots and functions well, great. If you get one that does not, sell it to somebody you don't like and try again.