1911 Features, must-haves?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by tspeck007, Oct 24, 2007.

1. tspeck007

tspeck007 New Member

I'm looking at getting a quality 1911 to "plink" with and do some amateur shooting competitions just for fun like IDPA, etc.

I've looked at Springfield, among others, and there is a wide range in price and many many models/submodels.

I'm not very familiar with large caliber handguns - I ownly own a MkIII. So I am not certain what features are worth paying for that add usuable value to the gun and what features are just added bells and whistles that really aren't that much more than wasted money.

A good example would be sights. I suspect I'd be very disappionted if I bought a model with the low-profile military sight to save money when I could have bought the 3-dot sight. However, should I purchase a model with the low profile adjustable rear sight instead?

I know some of this is subjective, but I very much want to avoid spending $500 on a pistol that I'll be disappointed with, especially as I progress in skill level, when I could have spent only $200 more and gotten a much higher quality firearm resulting in much more enjoyable experiences shooting it.

So please suggest those features that are must-haves.

Also please suggest those features you think are worth paying extra for that may not necessarily be must-haves.

Much tahnks!!
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  2. HeadHunterII

HeadHunterII New Member

Must haves in my opinion would be a Beavertial grip safety and a flared ejection port. These are the two most important things when purchasing a 1911 once again in my opinion. Everything else is just bells and whistles. If you like the three dot sights then that is what you should get. If you are planning on carrying this firearm steer away from adjustable sights. Fixed sights are the way to go.

So, there you have it. Lowered and Flared Ejection Port, Beavertail Grip Safety and Sights that suit YOU.

Some of the things that I say are worth paying extra for but not a must-have would be a competition trigger, front slide serrations and front strap checkering. Some people like an ambidexterous safety, I do not care for them. Some people like extended slide stops, once again I do not care for them. Comfortable grips would be another thing that are worth paying extra for but are not an absolute must have (I say this because if you get a 1911 and you don't like the grips, the best grips on the market can be had without breaking the bank).
  3. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

What he said, but I like the ambi safety.

The mmc adjustable sights on mine are great.

[​IMG]
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

You will want good adj sights, beavertail grip safety and a GOOD trigger job. As far as an ambi thumb safety, I can take them or leave them.

Buy a quality weapon and make changes as your skill improves.
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I go with Shooter, the only other thing I would do is throat it a little more and polish the feed ramp, if it is stock now...

It's a really simple procedure if you have a few basic tools and PATIENCE....

And you MAY not even need the Beavertail grip safety either, if I had the choice between paying for a decent trigger or going with a nice beavertail, I'd go with the trigger job and learn to live with the stock grip safety...and while it's not much difference, the stock grip safety actually makes it slightly easier to conceal as well...

Besides, I lost a portion of my left thumb years ago so an ambidextrous safety is a waste of money for me anyway...:p

And as far as ADJUSTABLE sights go, I really think that depends on your skill level...Good FIXED sights will do you just fine to start, and just MAYBE when you get settled on a load, just may do you BETTER. Not ONLY do new shooters, or people with new firearms spend time fiddling with sights when the problem is the "headspace" of the nut behind the trigger...:cool:

...when I was starting out in IPSC, I had REALLY nice BoMAr adjustables on my .45 which, was the "hot ticket" back then...

...UNTIL my wife had an "accident" with my shooting box on the kitchen table on a Sunday Morning before a match and didn't TELL me about it, and I ended up shooting the WORST I ever did...and on inspection when I got home I see the sight was BENT and I see the little ding on the sight blade...THEN she told me when I asked if that "crash" I heard this morning that she said was "nothing" really WAS something...

The BoMars were pulled and sold off, and replaced with Wilson Combat FIXED sights...and I have not ever gone BACK to adjustibles for over 20 years now....yeah, I can't switch loads easily, but my IPSC load and hardball shoot to the same point of aim, so that is all I shoot....and it's "Polish-Proof":p