1911 grips

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by H-D, Jul 26, 2011.

1. H-D

H-D Active Member

Thanks Carl , coming from you that really means a lot
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

left grip.jpg
    Rightgrip.jpg
    l gun.jpg
    Made some cocobolo bobtail grips tonight!
  3. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

H-D
    very nice work. You are really improving. The only thing I see that I would do a little different, and this is just my opinion and is a matter of preference. On the bottom of the bobtail, I like to hide the main spring pin. To do this you leave the wood all the way out to the edge of the metal frame. Then drill an indent in the back so the pin does not hit the wood. By doing this you get a more grip width and it fits the bobtail look. Again let me say that this is not the only way to do it, its just my opinion for what it's worth.
    I have seen them both ways as I'm sure you have too. So either way is fine.
    If you want to fill the pores of the Cocobolo and make them like glass you can get some de-waxed shellac and give them a coat after sanding. I usually wipe them with a little MEK or Acetone to remove all the natural oil that I can. Then apply the De-Waxed Shellac. It only takes about 10 minutes to dry and then another coat can be applied. It is good for filling and will dry. A lot of times on a natural oily wood like Cocobolo the regular finishes are really hard to dry. After applying the final coat of shellac, let it dry overnight then put any kind of finish on it that you like. They will all dry and look fantastic.
    Hope this is some helpful information.
  4. H-D

H-D Active Member

Thanks for the tips Carl ! The msh pin looks better covered to me too, but I cut these too far and a 1_16th was showing of the pin so it looked better to me all showing , where do I get the shellac ? Lowes or ace hardware or is it hard to find ? I realized after an hour that the oil I tried to put on them would not dry, I wiped it off and sanded them to 1000 grit, but I can still see the pores
  5. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

I get the spray from Lowes. Zissers Shellac, spray can. Normally if I want all the pores filled I will put 5 or 6 coats of it on. This will leave a finish that has a corse pebble look. After I am sure all the pores are full amd it is completely dry, I then sand with 400 to be sure the surface is smooth and all the light spots are sanded out. At that point you can use any finish you want oil or water base, it won't matter.
    You can order the pint cans and apply it with a cloth or a sponge brush which is actually better. The pint cans can be ordered from Woodcraft.com. little expensive but last forever.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  6. the wolf

the wolf New Member

great work on the grips!.. thinking to get mine done in maple...