1911 High Standard Mil Spec & Crusader Compact 45

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Foxfire Rod & Gun, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Foxfire Rod & Gun

Foxfire Rod & Gun New Member

Since Springfield frames and slides are manufactured in Brazil, as per Patti Boyer @ Springfield, I was interested in anyone's opinion on the High Standard 1911 Mil Spec and Crusader Compact 45 models. I picked up one of each a few days ago and have not had the time to fire either of them. It's a shame sinceI have a shootong range of sorts on my property. Would anyone care to comment on either of these Phillpeen Manufactured weapons? I'd appreacite any and all comments, opinions, etc.

Thanks,
    James @ Foxfire Rod & Gun
  2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

The High Standard 1911's are made in the Phillipines. I have owned two of them and they are good shooters. Mine were the Gov't Model.

Gave one to SIL who's in the Navy. He likes it.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The frames and slides are made by Armscor as are the Rock Island 1911.

I have the RI and it is a good gun. It has been said that the frame is of a lesser steel than some of the other 1911 on the market but it is the least expensive 1911 out there. For the usages of an average shooter I think the RI to be fine. I customised mine and found the internal parts to all be properly hardened so if the fame is softer than normal I am surprised because they did all the rest OK.

I'm not a fan of Houston Hi Std as I owned an early Trophy 22 target pistol from them that I could never get to feed ammo. The trials and tribulations with the owners of the company during buying the gun (lies and delays) kept me from returning it as I really wanted a Hi Std. I replaced it with a real Hi Std Victor that works great and hung the Houston Hi Std in a frame on the wall (it looks good just won't feed ammo!).

LDBennett