1911 Made for Camp Perry

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

stanmail
    (8/1/02 12:27:17 am)
    Reply 1911 Made for Camp Perry
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys, I'm new but I've corresponded with some of you and I know there's no finer on earth.
    I'm waiting out the Brady period before taking home a 1911 Government Model which was bought by a policeman for target shooting and on-the-job in 1950-something. He had it expertly set up as a National-Match-like and took it to Camp Perry for the trials 40 years ago, and he sold it to me with the "Welcome to Camp Perry" and other documents because he was proud to remember his and the pistol's past. Tells a profound story.
    Purportedly, the gun has not been fired since Camp Perry and may have been "tuned up" by some expert smith established enough to have left a mark inside the action.
    Question is: can I treat this pistol as a "shooter" or is it better to set it aside as a collector's goodie. Should I have someone check it out to help me make that decision? I've got a good pistol to take to the range now, but I've wanted John M. Browning's best for awhile. I could wait and buy another 1911/1911A1 sometime, but not now sez the Mrs.
    Thanks for your helpful insights.

ladr
    (8/1/02 9:18:46 am)
    Reply Re: 1911 Made for Camp Perry
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shoot it.
    NO GUTS NO GLORY

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/1/02 11:56:23 am)
    it was built to shoot

what ladr said...

SHOOT IT!
    In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.

stanmail
    (8/1/02 3:57:04 pm)
    Thanks for your opinions!
    I'm inclined to agree. there are firearms appropriate to collect and not fire, but this tackdriver (like my dog) is just a great mutt.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/1/02 5:08:50 pm)
    If he gave you all the history, but made no claim of the smith, then shoot it. Now if you crack it open and it has Swenson stamped inside the slide......shoot it carefully. LTS

stanmail
    (8/1/02 5:28:34 pm)
    I haven't taken the pistol home yet. This fellow lived in Pennsylvania and seems like he had the best smith he could find install the N.M. barrel/bushing, adjustable trigger, fixed sights, and I'm not sure what was done inside the slide, of course. The name Paul Jagaer came up but I'm not sure Jaeger did pistols.
    I'll share what I learn, but I'm still inclined to see if it shoots tighter groups than my old Browning Medalist. No doubt it shoots tighter groups than me.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/7/02 8:31:18 am)
    I'd say shoot it.......but treat it very well.

stanmail
    (8/8/02 2:08:44 pm)
    I'm inclined to agree.
    Still don't have the pistol in my posession. I'm looking forward to seeing what marks are on the slide inside it. There were many skilled gunsmiths who set up these pieces 40 years ago, but the concensus is that modern versions surpass their best efforts.
    Thanks for your replies.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/8/02 3:06:18 pm)
    Re: 1911 Made for Camp Perry
    Glad to see you finally got yourself that 45 Stan!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

stanmail
    (8/9/02 2:53:00 am)
    Thanks Tac! I looked at about 500 of 'em but only saw 350 or so that I wanted, you know.