1911 Magazine Question

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Jul 29, 2011.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

The two 1911's I own are both 8rd capacity. I bought them in part for that reason. I know there are some very fine 1911's out there with only a 7 rd capacity. Maybe not a big deal to most people but I like having that 1 extra round. Does anyone make 1911 magazines for 7 rd cap. pistols such as Colt and Springfield, that have an extended base to increase capacity to 8 rd ?
  2. garydude

garydude Member

To my understanding you could easily turn most 7 round pistols into 8 round pistols just by using a magazine designed for it. Ones from Wilson Combat, Tripp research, Chip McCormick, etc. would likely do just great.

Now I could be wrong on this, but I have a SW 1911 that has both 8 round mags and 7 round mags that work well with it. I think it would be as simple as just changing the mag.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The capacity is decided by the magazine not the weapon. Even the dinky compact 1911s can utilize a full size mag and have 8 rounds. All govt models regardless of manufacterer use either 7 rd GI mag or 8 rd aftermarket mags. Only thing you cant do is stuff a 6 round Officers mag into a govt frame, the catch wont reach the notch. But you can stuff an 8 rd Wilson mag into any 1911 as long as it isnt a double stack frame..
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I only use Wilson Combat mags in my 1911. They have never failed me yet. My Kimber came with 1 7 rnd mag it fits FLUSH with the base of the gun. My wilsons stick out a tad more than the Stock 7rounder.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Chip McCormick makes flush fitting 8 rounders. I much prefer the flush fitting mags so I bout about 10 of them..
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Not so. You can stick one up there, and it will lock into place. The cartridge won't be high enough for the slide to catch it, though.

At least, my one 6-round Officer's Model magazine now has SHORT written on it, on both side, in blue paint stick, because I did that at the range once. Shoved it up there thinking it was one of the Chip McCormick 8-rounders, and sat there wondering why it didn't load. Locked in place just fine, though.
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have some chip mccormic 10 round mags I use for practice sometimes.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

hmmm, something cant be right alpo. Stu has a springer ultra compact .45, He uses the 6 rounders for carry and I swear he stuffs an 8 rounder in at the range. A good 2 inches of mag sticking out the bottom. Looks real funny when he uses his promag 10 rounder like the ones DD is talking about.

If they shortened the top of the mag then the slide would be smashed way down on the frame to accomodate it lowering the centerline of the bore and there wouldnt be room for the recoil spring guide and rod.. Im relatively sure a OfficersACP/compact 1911 mag wont snap into place on a commander/govt sized frame as its too short..
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Here are pictures of the two different mags in my Kimber.

Kimber 7 rnd
    [​IMG]

Wilson 8rnd.
    [​IMG]
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

My Commander is always loaded with 9 rounds.
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Just tried it again. You're right. It does not lock in. Friction fit is so tight I thought it did. Hold the gun upright, in firing position, with the short one in it, and it stays in. Shake it hard and it drops out about a half inch.

Dammit, I'm not supposed to be wrong about this crap. :(

:p :D

As you might could guess, by this cinematic masterpiece worthy of Cecile B. DeMille, I ain't never used the movie part of my camera before. :)

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  12. Squeak

Squeak Member

Alpo: I like your sense of humor about "I'm not supposed to be wrong about this stuff". Well, as everyone knows, there was only ONE perfect man & they crucified him.

I thought I was wrong once - - - but I was wrong.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its all good alpo. Kinda meakes me feel good i got one up on the masta..;)

And youre right squeak, Alpo has a great sense of humor. Course what could you expect from someone whos been a dogs lunch and lived to tell the tale..;)

BTW Alpo, Im all caught up with that book, waiting on some more installments..;) The wifes read it too. She likes it.
  14. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Well how bout that. All this time I've been avoiding 7 rd 1911's. The thing is when I went to my local gun shop to buy a few 8 rd WilsonCombat mags the guy asked me if my pistol was 7 or 8 rds. I asked if it made a difference. He said "you bet it does". He told me that the 8 rd mags wouldn't work in pistols like colt because the cut out on the mag wont match the lock location on the pistol.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

What a putz. Does he not know that every part from every manufacterer will interchange. Heck thats part of what makes the 1911 thrive in todays market with all these space age gadgets that fire bullets. Sounds like this guy needs a basic course in the design and function if the 1911 platform..

Heres a simple list, easy to remember, but you can write it down if you have a memory like I do..

Pertaining to single stack 1911s ONLY..

OfficersACP/Compact framed guns (usually having 3" barrels or less) can use any single stack 1911 mag. From sompact 6 rd versions, sloppy 7 rd GI versions, fancy smancy stainless 8 rd versions with rubber bumpers all the way up to and including, if one were so inclined, one of those HI-CAP 50 rd. drums CTD sells, Why? IDK.. But to each his own I suppose..;)

The Commander and Govt frames, Including longslides, can use them all EXCEPT, the 6 rd compact mags.. :thumbsup: