1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

1911 Magazine Question

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Jul 29, 2011.

1. 45silverback

45silverback New Member

While, as many have said here, any 7 or 8 rnd magazine should work in any 1911 with a full-size grip frame, it is not always the case. 1911's can be very finnicy about magazines. The old GI spec guns were a little more forgiving, but some of the more modern, tighter fitted guns simply don't like some magazines.

I use McCormick Shooting Star mags presently. I have somewhere over 20K rounds through my Commander out of 6 of them. I don't recall ever having a magazine related failure with them. I've tried other mags, usually borrowed from buddies at the range with mixed results. For instance, a friend swears by Tripp Research mags, but they just won't run in my colt. On the other hand, the McCormicks I use and the Tripps he uses will run fine in his gun ( A Baer gun). I have tried Wilson mags and they run fine. Novak mags wouldn't run at all. I will say though that I can't remember one of my McCormics not running in whatever gun they were stuck in.

Regardless, I won't use a magazine for carry untill it has a couple hundred faiure free rounds through the gun I plan on using it with. I pretty much avoid cheap gun show magazines all-together.
  2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I dunno, all the 1911's I grew up with only held 7 in the mag. It seems kinda wrong to load 8 in one and I despise a mag sticking out the bottom or a mag with a bumper.
  3. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

:confused:
    Question Why does the military services (Army in particular) limit the M1911 rounds to 5 in an 8 rd mag?? I was told that the mag springs lose ump over time with 8 rds. Now understand the M1911's that were issued to Ammo dump guard and such were alsomost NEVER shot. So the theory was the service life of the maf was preserved with 5 rds where 8 would degrade the mag spring over a looooooooong time (years),:confused:
  4. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

That makes a lot of sense given a failure in a combat or law enforcement situation would be YOUR death prob.
  5. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Carver I sometimes think you ain't wrapped tight:D
  6. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Hmm.. let's see. I have a Citadel 1911 and I love it. I've tweaked it, it looks great and I did post a pic of it in the 1911 topic. Provided I have enough ammo to range shoot with - I happily put 1½" groups from 50 ft. My 1911 came with 2 8 round mags. They look fine. I just bought an older Colt 7 round mag - fits fine but I did need to run 0000 steel wool over it with my preferred gun oil to have it slide in smooth (it IS an old mag circa WWII). It does work fine. Fired 3 full mags without a problem.

Now, these 10 round mags - well, I did bid on a few on the bay. Didn't win them for the $3 I was willing to pay to test them. That was around 6 months ago and, looking back I'm glad I didn't buy one. I can shoot 1½" groupings at 50 ft. with my lil ole 1911. Not much worse at 100ft. I'm guessing that with 3 mags I could certainly kill 15-20 targets in a necessary moving situation and with 5 mags that number goes up proportionately.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  7. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

Chip McC is the man! It is the only mag I really trust. It is the very 1st thing a 1911 of mine gets, even a new one.