1911 "model BB " question

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Squeak, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Squeak

Squeak New Member

I have a Colt Govt model 45 that I bought new sometime in the 60's. As I get the story, this was a predecessor of the Mark 4 series 70 line. The serial # is 33****-C with BB stamped directly under the 33 in the serial #. The BB looks like it was stamped on there almost like an after thought, but I bought this gun brand new so I know it was not added by some scam artist. Can any of you good folks out there tell me anything I' like to know about this particular model?? I've looked in a lot of gun value books & none of them mention anything about this BB thing. Is this thing worth any more than any other 1911 model?? It's been fired about 6 or 8 times just to make sure it would work. Other than that, it's NIB. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
  2. henry77

henry77 New Member

That is a production line bo-bo. Only about 750 of those were made. Somewhere I have an article from Colt about them. I did have one that I purchased in the late 1960's and later traded. They were worth a lot even in the 1980's when I traded mine.

The "BB" was somebody at Colt's initials. Hopefully, someone knows more recent info than I have.
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

RARE and DESIRABLE Colt 1911A1 Government Model Semi-Automatic Pistol with Barrel Bushing (BB) feature. Produced in 1970, your Colt is one of approximately 1000 pistols that Colt manufactured during the transition period preceding the introduction of the Series 70 1911s. Colt was investigating technology to increase the "out of the box" accuracy of the Model 1911A1 without having to hand fit every barrel and bushing. The barrel bushing feature used on this Colt is the result of this investigation. The test results from Colt M1911's equipped with this new barrel bushing technology flowed into the design of the Series 70 pistols that Colt enthusiasts value so highly. Colt has been quoted as saying that they had no idea that this small group of pistols would be so sought after in later years. The barrel is stamped with "COLT .45 AUTO" with "BB". The right side of the frame is stamped with the serial number and "BB" underneath. Both "BB" stamps signify that this pistol has the "barrel bushing" feature. That means it has the Series 70 three prong barrel bushing.

It should be an accurare 1911.
  4. Squeak

Squeak New Member

Thank you to those two of you who replied. Being as how only two replied, I have to assume that this model is not widely known about. I even called Colt's archives & talked to the historian there & the gal I talked to said she knew that they made them, but for what ever reason, they were not very well documented. Only about 1000 were made in January of 1970 just before they introduced the Mark IV series 70. I ordered a "letter of authenticity", but she said that takes about 100 days & costs a hundred bucks. I ordered it anyway. - - - just for what ever it's worth - - -.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

You wont be sorry you spent that hundred. Sounds like you have a "gem" on your hands. P.S. I just noticed you are from the chicago area. You should probably just sell me that pistol before Rahm sends them door to door to collect them.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011