1911 or Glock

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by greengeep7, Nov 24, 2008.

1. greengeep7

greengeep7 New Member

I have always been interested in getting a pistol, I have a Beretta 92 but I want something else. I can't decide if I should get a Glock or a 1911. What are the pro's and con's to each. If I was going to get a 1911 then what should I be looking for. I see all these nice models but I cant tell any difference with like Kimber, Nighthawk, Colt, Springfield and so on. What should I do?
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am no where near the expert like most on this forum, but I shot a 1911 when I was an MP in 1970 and it is a fine gun. On the other hand, I purchased a Glock 19 a month ago and enjoy it immensely. My vote would be a Glock. The simplicity of stripping and cleaning it is great.
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

This is a hot potato around here, there are those who would choose 1911 every time, and then there are those other folk.

The Glocks are well made reliable firearms, I am not a fan because they have no manual safety and no exposed hammer, which I prefer while the 1911s do.

There is also the material issue, some prefer a classic, well made steel handgun while others are Ok with plastic, as used with Glocks, Tupperware, children's toys , etc. :)

I hope that gives you a balanced, unbiased view?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
  4. artabr

artabr New Member

Guess. :D

Attached Files:

5. artabr

artabr New Member

Just kidding, Greengeep. Welcome to the forum. :)
    Glocks are great guns. It's just that 1911 are greater. ;) :)

Art
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  6. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

I can solve this problem.....get one of each! both are excellant...I have G22 and a colt 1911 that was my dad's officers pistol...
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

NICE ART, VERY NICE...

In an attemp to create an unbiased post on the subject. BOTH guns are well made, BOTH fire .45 ACP (although the glock has many more options), BOTH have hi-cap capabilities (though the original 1911 was single stack), BOTH are extremely accurate handguns (more accurate than most shooters in most cases), BOTH are extremely reliable, BOTH are readily accessorizable, BOTH are very concealable. I guess what it boils down to is whether or not you want a heavy gun or a light one. I much prefer the beauty, design, and uh, METAL of the standard 1911 pattern, I also much prefer to tediously disassemble the 1911 for cleaning on my bench with solvents and oils as weapons cleaning was intended. While others, some right here on this forum, prefer a light, fast handling weapon, and when its time to clean up that range residue its into the dishwasher next to the pasta bowl...:D
  8. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Is kinda like asking a room full of guys if they like brunettes more, or blondes. Or Dodge, Ford, or Chevy? :D:D:D They all ain't so bad:D:D:D

The first thing is pick up and handle a few Glocks and a few 1911's and see what feels right. Which one points naturally with your eyes shut? Which one has a sweet grip? Which one do you keep wanting to look at and hold? Who knows until you try....you may find you like an XD or CZ better.

A Glock is very forgiving and all around--easier to shoot, field strip, clean, and maintain. People either love or hate them. Most people that hate them never carried one often for work or had the convenience and saved frustration of teachinng people to operate Glocks.

Glock puts a lot of firepower in your hands and is an easy platform to precisely put lead on target. Reliability out of the box is nearly unmatched. A new Glock will usually outlast the owner. Price for all that is much lower than most other serious sidearms too.

1911 is a warhorse. It is also not for the novice to immediately master.

Kimber and Nighthawk are too expensive for entry level. An unmodified used Colt or new no-frills Springfield is a good starting place. Charles Daly and Rock Island Armory make 1911's for low prices that perform so well it usually makes Kimber owners upset.

If you get a 1911, clearly define for yourself what you expect it to do. There are a lot of modifications and aftermarket parts that are a waste of money unless your have a specific requirement. (Full length guide rods, extra flared ejection ports, titanium hammers, 30 lpi checkering all over the front/rear strap/trigger guard, DuraCoat.) And there are no shortage of people who will convince you to spend $$$$ on a laundry list of modifications and aftermarket parts before your purchase is even final.

Most new 1911's will serve fine after a break in period for entry level 1911 shooters. Some others need some simple tuning jobs.

I say all that because I've seen plenty new 1911 guys with $1,900 pistols that are frustrated at a dude with a $500-$800 1911 who did nothing put add Novak sights, flare the mag well, and polish some parts; and their pistol hangs with or outperforms custom iron at every match. Those guys spend their money on ammo, and this usually is not quickly understood by novices who believed it when they were told this and that would do that and this.

If you want to grow with your weapon, get a 1911.

If you want a headstart, get a Glock.

Two different paths to the same place on the mountain.
  9. A most sensible solution, Rom, but get more than one of each. :D I did. I stand on the fence on this issue because I like both the 1911 and the Glock designs. Each has it's place. To certain old duffers around here (no names, but he has a British accent ;)) think firearms design ended with the death of John M. Browning in 1926. It didn't. :rolleyes:
  10. Chuck B

Chuck B New Member

I've got a Springfield 1911 and used to have a Glock 36 (.45acp). Glocks may come and go...but I'll always have a good 1911...it's the center of gravity for the guns that I own.

Chuck
  11. 340mopar

340mopar New Member

That's what I did!

1911 Randall .45
    21 GLOCK .45
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  12. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Reliable steel firearms design did die with John Browning.

Thank God he did the Ma Duece and the 1911 before he checked out.

RIP JMB
  13. highdesert

highdesert New Member

We have Glock at work. They are fine. I have a 1911 at home and its a great design from the mind of a genious. You gotta have a 1911. HD
  14. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

The Glock is a reliable tool. The Sig is an elegant tool. The 1911 is the "BFH".

The Ole' .45, Ole' Slab Sides, Ole' Ugly, and I'd say, mans best friend. Drop it in the mud, clear the barrel and shoot them sumbitches.

Take it all the way apart and put it back together again without tools. Do this in the field, at the work bench, where ever. It works.

I learned about the 1911 from a retired Army Ranger/armorer who taught me to take it apart and put it back together again with my eyes closed.
    For me, modifying and playing around with different parts here and there is some of the fun.

I like the 1911 because of it's simplicity, ease of use and great feel in the hand. Not to mention the storied history and of course it was designed by John Moses Browning & Carried by guys like Sgt. Alvin York, Sheriff Jim Wilson, Clint Smith etc. and a host of others.

Besides, it just looks cool.
    [​IMG]
  15. redrick

redrick New Member

I have both, my first was a 1911 and it is my favorite. It just feels so good in my hand and is a tack driver. Go hold each one and then you decide, you can't make a bad decision with either one. I would recommend a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail, you get a lot for your money, but it still cost almost twice the price of a Glock, any good 1911 will.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  16. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I have a spring field 1911, a colt series 70 1911, a sig 45, a para ordnance 45, and a glock in 45. When I go out and want something reliable, not pretty I take the glock. The series 70 was my first 45, and the glock was the last one I bought.
  17. Brian48

Brian48 New Member

I've owned two Glocks (M19 and M23) in the past. Great guns for carry and very reliable, but I've always preferred 1911s. Eventually sold/traded them off, but I still have 4 1911s.
  18. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Surely you gest............1911 vs, Schlock????????????
  19. SgtGing

SgtGing New Member

To each his own.... I have two 1911's (Springfield GI project gun and Colt CCO by Heinie) and two Glocks (21sf and 30). Needless to say, I like the .45 acp. I have carried all four at different times during my police career. At the moment, I carry the Springfield on duty and the Glock 30 off duty.
  20. Goneracin

Goneracin New Member

i vote cold blue steel, i dont like plastic, it just doesnt feel good to me, not what a gun should be. I would just be affraid to break it if i hit it too hard or something.

but i have very little experience with a glock, so i really cant help but give you a biast opinion.

I definatly do agree though, hold them both, and try to go to a range where you can shoot them both and feel them both in your hand loaded. i know of a lot of guns that feel wierd when unloaded in your hand, but pretty good when loaded. i went and shot quite a few 1911's before i bought mine, i wanted to be sure what size and type i wanted, full size was for me. just my 2 cents