1911 or this

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ron21, Dec 29, 2003.

1. ron21

ron21 New Member

hi everyone i want to know which of these guns is best for me a 1911 45acp or a glock 45acp or an put it like this which hand gun is the best as far as reliability accuracy maintainance ,parts ,toughness , hard hitting , and a good gun for entertainment i was looking at the desert eagle 50. price is no option give me your top 5 and why please any reply is greatly appreciated.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Welcome to TFF.

You will need to go to a gun shop and handle both 1911 and glock. Which feels better in your hand ?

For accuracy, reliability, maintainance,parts and toughness............1911. Hands down.

A gun for entertainment........Glock all the way.

I can laugh at them for hours. :D

This topic has been rolled around on every gun forum on the net.

Results, all the same. Some love Glock, some hate them.
  3. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

Now Sam!! Be nice!!

But I agree! 1911 all the way!
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

As an all-around gun, a full-size 1911 all the way.

For CCW, a LW Commander or it's Springfield or Kimber equivalents.

As you can tell, I'm a 1911Nut.....BUT ....I'd suggest you handle (and shoot, if possible) as many different large bore pistols as possible before you decide to buy. 1911s, Glocks, SiGs, H&Ks, Desert Eagles......and as many more as you can find, and pick what suits you best.
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I agree with Tuck on the 1911 hands down.

However, I agree with Xracer in that you should try to shoot several different pistols and then decide what is best for you. I don't think you'll ever find anything as rugged and long lasting as the 1911, though.

Shooter, all I can say is :D :) :D
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Its been posted already, but can't emphasize enough, go with what fits your hand. You might be surprised, a wheel gun might be in your futue.

All of the various makes have a certain 'feel' and fit a certain hand size the best. H&K's USPs and Desert Eagles require mits the size of a Boston Butt to really operate the buttons and levers right - at least to me. Double stacked Glocks feel like I'm holding a 2x4 - a bit thick. 1911's - single stacks - are just right - for me!!

Then its trigger action - 1911 Single Action, the Various SIG/HK "Traditional" Double action - long first stroke, short second. Glock's crunchenticker action. the various SIG and Smith Double Action Only - all long strokes. Go shoot them all and see what feels best and works best for you.

There are a lot of ranges that rent guns - also most every public range is "staffed" by the usual lot of us gun nuts and most will offer to let you bang away with their iron just to convince you their choice is/was the best - its how we continually justify our choice!!

This is like what's best Ford/Chevy/Dodge - HotWheels/Matchbox. Stick with a quality make and you really can't go wrong.
  7. ron21

ron21 New Member

which 1911

thank you all for your helpfull post im now leaning toward the 1911 but which on is the better make ,i mean which manufacter gets the highest rating ,ohh did the military use these guns ? thank you again for your post ,,,,by entertainment i wanted somthing that you know if i told or showed someone they wouldnt be like its a ok weapon you know?
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Can't go wrong with a Kimber or Springfield. Stay away from Colt unless you have it worked on a bit. Like going into a jewelry store - how much were you thinking of spending?

Base model Kimbers, Springs, etc are going to be in the $500-600 range. They go up from there. Wilsons and tricked out Kimbers and Springs are going to be closer to $1200+

Used by the military? The 1911? Uh, yeah, since about 1911. Seriously, the 1911 was the issue side arm for US forces from 1911 until the, what mid 80's? and they switched to the M9. Even so, it is still issued to spec op units and police SWAT units world wide.
  9. Xracer

Used by the Military? That's how it got it's name...."U.S. Army, .45 Calibre, Model of 1911".

It was used from the Punitive Expedition in Mexico, WW1, WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. Think of it.....Bellau Wood, Guadalcanal, D-Day in Normandy, Bastogne, Inchon, The Chosin Reservoir, The A Shau Valley....It's more than just a sidearm, it's a piece of history!

Rant over........ :D

Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Wilson, Baer......all fine 1911's. Of the moderately priced ones (Colt, Kimber, Springfield), I give a slight nod to Kimber on the basis of fit & finish.......but they're all well-made, accurate, and rugged.
  10. ron21

ron21 New Member

it is a part of history

i see, its like a collectors piece too ! i guess i should get the kimber .whats the differance between the regular kimber 1911 and the fbi issued 1 or is the springfield the fbi issued .well any way whats the differance whats additional?
  11. ron21

ron21 New Member

1911 in movies

another thing ,i want to see the 1911 in action are there any movies where they are using a 1911 in please list thank you
  12. cd45

cd45 New Member

I carried a Glock .40 S&W for about a year, for the last 4 years I have carried a 1911, the first 3 years it was a Charles Daly, then I bought a Springfield. They are both full size 5" barreled versions in steel. Occasionally I carry a CZ40 with an Aluminum frame. It was designed by both Colt and CZ to be imported by Colt as a new pistol, the deal fell through and now CZ makes and imports it. It shoots very well, but I still carry my 1911 99% of the time. Good luck on your choice.
  13. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Any Steven Segal movie!
  14. Xracer

15. Sackett

Sackett Member

Hi Ron,
    Glad to have you. As far as movies go, if I'm understanding you correctly, may I suggest the following.
    Wild Bunch.
    Bonnie and Clyde
    Dillinger (especially this one)