1911 Question

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

TallTLynn
    (3/10/01 6:18:53 pm)
    Reply 1911 question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Or at least I think it is one - does anybody know about Israeli(sp) Arms and their .45's? Got to look at one today at the gun shop - and it in my eyes was a beauty. Felt nice, grips were perfect for my hand and I think I fell in love (heavy sigh).

So now I need to know the reputation of the company and whether it's a decent gun or not. Also wouldn't mind knowing if $389 for one of them is a bad price or not.

Yeah I know I didn't get enough information - but geez they had over 300 different hand guns in stock and my mind can't absorb past a point. Not to mention any place that carries my 8mm and .303 ammo in stock without having to order it has got to be allright in my book.

One last thing - first time in my life that the guy behind the counter didn't try and steer me to a .32 or .38 caliber handgun. This guy started by showing me a very nice .357 (only problem was I didn't like the way it held - revolver - but it was nice).

I think I'm in heaven (ah hell even mom liked the place).

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/10/01 7:01:38 pm)
    Reply Re: 1911 question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    T,

They are fairly new to the market yet but I will try to
    get you some data on it however, Essex Arms may be making
    the slides & frames for them, they are located in my town
    however, I don't care for their quality of workmanship.

Don't jump into it yet, get some more feedback from the
    folks in here first.

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board sjdsports@hotmail.com

AntiqueDr
    (3/10/01 7:09:35 pm)
    IAI - Israel Arms Int'l. Only been imported since 1997, but the initial reviews have been pretty good. Imported here in my home town of Houston, so they cant be too bad (remember Golden Eagle?).

$389 is not a bad price, about right.

I'm going to make it a point to go over there next week.

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few

shooter45 us
    (3/10/01 7:13:01 pm)
    TLynn, I haven't heard anything positive about IA . As Tac said, they are still new to this market. It may take a while to work the kinks out.

TallTLynn
    (3/10/01 7:52:56 pm)
    Well guys I'm not in a huge hurry to go run out and spend money on a weapon (okay I'm lying just a tad here). But of all the .45's I tried this one fit my hand, wasn't too light or too heavy, balanced for me very well and how do I put it - felt right!

But I refuse to rush out and buy a weapon I know nothing about - unless of course it's another .303 British Enfield or another 8mm Mauser type rifle (I want more of those guns). I came back home (I only bought ammo for my rifles) and thought I'd ask questions about this Company and see what if anything people knew about them.

Xracer
    (3/11/01 9:28:28 am)
    SJ.....I have an early Essex frame (it's the basis for my competition gun) and I thought the quality was excellent. Are they still up in Island Pond, VT?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/11/01 12:11:11 pm)
    Yeah X,

They are in Island Pond which is 7-miles from me, I only
    fired one of there guns so I can't judge the rest of them
    and this one was used, I do know that they are one of the
    companies building the new Garand & M1-Carbine receivers
    for IAI, I'll have to drop in on them and take a look, the
    owner was trying to sell the place a while back.

T,

If the gun fits and feels good then give it a try, the
    most you would probably have to do is have a little polishing done to the ramp and maybe a little throating.

Tac

Xracer
    (3/12/01 9:39:54 am)
    Out here on the flat boring frozen plains of Minnesota, I sure do envy you SJ.......I miss beautiful Northern New England.

Used to do a bunch of ice racing in VT & NH, and I'm originally from Maine. Ayuh!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/12/01 6:45:52 pm)
    X,

It wasn't too much fun up here on the mountain when we
    were trapped for 9 days but other than being on the
    mountain in winter it ain't too bad.

Tac