1911 Question

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Woodnut, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

I read and interesting article yesterday about a .357 mag 1911. I guess I am a little behind the times, but I didn't know they made them. Has anyone had any experience with them, and are they worth the money?. It was a very interesting article in Shotgun News, in case anyone wants to read it. They had some very good points on the gun. Then I realize that a lot of it is advertising. :confused:
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

No Kidding. I wasn't aware that the 1911 could feed something as long as the 357. Are you sure it wasn't the 357 sig. I've seen a couple of those.
  3. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

They used to make one called the 357 Coonan Arms. Looked like a 45 platform, but I'm sure the grip area was expanded. Always wanted one. don't know if that's what your refering to, or not.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  4. Woodnut

That's the one I was refering to. I had just forgotten the name. I think the artical said it was first introduced in the mid 90's.

Helix_FR, I just looked up the artical to be sure, and yes it is a .357 Mag. The frame has been enlarged to accomadate the Mag length. The artical is way to long for me to copy, but I'm sure you might could bring it up on the web. The artical was printed in the April 20, 2011 issue of Shotgun News.
    It says there are 18 components that are exactly the same and will exchange with the mil spec 1911.
    I will do a little research after awhile and see if I can find a link for you. I warn you tho, it is a long read, but to me it was worth the time.
  5. Woodnut

6. ka64

ka64 Active Member

7. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

I'd like to try one of these!
  8. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Thanks for the pics ka64!
  9. Woodnut

Thanks for the pics ka64! I was going to look them up but we have had company all afternoon and you beat me to it. Thanks again. I would sure like to shoot one of these guns. Just once, at least. But I would not buy one until I had a full range report and had a chance to shoot it myself.
  10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Thats kinda cool. Always been a fan of the 357 anyway. Since they did a redesign it all makes sense now.
  11. ka64

ka64 Active Member

My pleasure Gents.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Like a beefed up, purpose built, .38 spec target conversion for the 1911. Except POWERFUL.. I dont think it would be all that different handling from an AMT automag .30 carbine, without the 7 foot barrel of course..;)
  13. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

http://coonaninc.com/ Here you go Carl. I think that they are back in business. My FFL has one. Prety cool.
  14. Woodnut

Thanks Clinger
    Very interesting link, even tells price and a lot of other information, not that I am going to run out and buy one for $1250 bucks, but all and all if it is what they say it is, it might not be a bad price. But I betting there will be bugs for a while.
  15. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

I saw several at various tables at the gun show i went to last weekend. They all seemed to be brand new, look like a well made pistol.
  16. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

I wonder how it handles the stout magnum loads if we shoot them alot? When we get near 1,500 fps remember we have pressure and flames blowing off on both sides of the cylinder too besides the longer flame comming out of the barrel on the revolvers its like having a pressure relief system with the cylinder gap. In a pistol the barrel and chamber will take the brunt of the pressure and i think this is why the auto mags in the magnum calibers were so large. I like the thoughts of having a magnum power in a 1911 pistol but right now the 10mm being said to be equal to a 41mag in power has my interest. But I have hammered two new 1911's in 45acp shooting stouter rounds apart in the past. This is why i'm leary of a magnum powered pistol. My new ccw gun is a S&W M58 in 41mag revolver. Bill

BTW; When i seen a guy brought into the ER room with 5 shots of 45acp in him and he lived i reloaded my 1911 in 45acp with the soup bowel speer 200gr hollow points to the max when i carried the 1911. Of course shooting at the range all the time practicing with them took its toll on the 1911. There was no internet nor anyone to talk with about installing a stronger recoil spring back then too. Stupid me.....
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  17. Woodnut

I was a vender in a gun and knife show in Slidell, LA two weeks ago and there were none there. I would like to hold one just to see how it feels. They have really caught my interest.
  18. H-D

H-D Active Member

feels huge like a desert eagle I'll stick with the 10mm delta elite it kicks enough for me and I dont load em extra hot
  19. Woodnut

Welcome to the forum Neighbor. Hadn't seen you on before. Tell us bout yourself.
  20. H-D

H-D Active Member

I;m up in Meridian Ms. sell motorcycle parts got a house full o' younguns and I joined this forum to read your write up on making 1911 grips so far I've destroyed 2 sets but I'm trying again tomorrow with some birds eye maple