1911 recoil

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Colt 1911 Gold Cup, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Colt 1911 Gold Cup

Colt 1911 Gold Cup New Member

I was just wondering what mods people recommend to reduce recoil for a quicker 2nd shot. I already have a 3lb trigger w/ over travel adjustment. I've been shooting for years but this is my first 1911 and i am not real savy om the technical workings. thanks for the help.
  2. Mark

Mark New Member

You can go to a lighter load, which means you need to change the recoil spring to a lighter weight. I believe the standard weight spring for a Government model is 16 to 18 lbs. This is designed to function with the 230 grain "Hardball" load. By going to a 185 or 200 grain lead bullet, with a velocity of 750 to 800 FPS, you can get reduced recoil. Using a 12 or 13 lb spring will allow reliable function.

There are some caveats here. Having a 13 lb spring and shooting the hardball load will batter your pistol. The lead bullets are usually semi-wadcutter in design, and your pistol may need to be throated to chamber these. I can't see what you have.
    Mark
  3. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

Over the years my simplistic approach to quite effectively reducing the perceived recoil and subsequent accurate shot timing from full power 1911 .45 ACP loads is to install an internal spring design, recoil reducing guide rod. I have used many different brands of such types of internal spring guide rods over the years and even though many of the products worked as advertised, unfortunately many of those manufacturers are no longer with us. And, some of the recoil reducing rod designs have worked much better and much more reliably than others. One of the nicer more recent recoil reducing guide rod designs is manufactured under the Sprinco brand label. I would heartily recommend the Sprinco brand of recoil reducing guide rod in any pistol configuration for which it is manufactured. (e.g. The S&W pattern pistol units also works quite well.) The Sprinco 1911 unit utilizes a 2 stage spring design with the heaviest final spring compression stage only at the very last of the slide rear movement in the recoil cycle which (1) nicely mitigates perceived recoil, and (2) effectively precludes any sort of frame battering. The Sprinco unit by design enables you to seriously reduce the time required for accurate follow up shots, as well as it reduces hand fatigue during prolonged shooting cycles. If you will Google 'recoil reducing guide rod' you will come up with a myriad of viable hits on such items including the Sprinco one.