1911 Repair question!

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by lonewolf204, Jul 14, 2011.

1. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

My SA 1911 that I have been learning to work on, I have replaced just about everything you can think of. It was shooting great very accruate, Then I was cleaning it and relized I had not changed the thumb safty. The one that was in it showed a lot of ware. I ordered a Wilson combat thumb safty I could not get it to work properly. So I ordered a Colt safty and put it in and it works ok. The problem is now the hammer will follow the slide to a half cock position insted of full cock. Bare in mind that I bought this gun to learn how they work and to practice working on. So far so good but this hammer follow has me buffaloed. All help and sugestions will be appriciated.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The thumb safeties have to be fitted to the back of the sear. When fully engaged you want it to just touch the sear evenly across the contact point.

This hammer follow issue.. Does it happen when you drop the slide on an empty chamber or does it happen when you pull the trigger with the safety on??
  3. lonewolf204

It happens when I drop the slide on an empty chamber. If you manually cock it the hammer will stay cocked.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That could be a couple things. usually too light a trigger pull. Both of my 1911s do that because they both have 2 pound triggers, but they dont do it on a full mag because the round slows the slide down enough. Could be an excessively heavy recoil spring, and also could be a negative sear/hammer engagement angle due to excessive wear or shoddy trigger work..

IF it has had a trigger job, I would bet one angle or another got polished a tad too much..
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you talking about letting the slide slam forward on an empty chamber? Does it do that if you ease the slide forward?
  6. lonewolf204

It does it when I ease the slide forward. I have not let it slam on an empty chamber.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ah, that sounds like a disconnector issue. pull it back apart and make sure the sear isnt behind the disconnector where they rest on the trigger bow.
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yea, probably not a light trigger issue.
  9. lonewolf204

I have pulled it apart again the disconnecter and the sear are in the right places. This all started after I installed a new thumb safety.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Pull the thumb safety back off and see if it still does it. A new thumb safety should have to be fit to the individual gun. I have never had one drop right in and work right. Most of the time they wont quite go into the frame until the engagement has been relieved just slightly, then its a matter of a little filework at a time checking fit and engagement along the way with the grip safety removed so you can see your work, and manupulate parts with a pick should the safety get pinched in place.
  11. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Brownells has a video on how to install a safety on a 1911..Its free...Plus some other very helpful tips and videos.. Think its www.brownells.com Noodle around their web and you find the videos.
  12. Skipper

Skipper Member

13. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I'd check the condition of the sear spring then fit the new thumb safety correctly.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

OH! If you end up having to spring for a new sear spring (ha ha.. Get it.) I highly recommend A clark sear spring. They have 4 fingers instead of 3 so you can tune trigger return pressure and disconnector pressure individually.. They are sweet springs..
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  15. lonewolf204

Thanks for all the info!
  16. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

The disconnector and sear may be in the right positions but is the sear spring pushing the disconnector back up behind the sear like its supposed to? If the sear nose is too long or the trigger bar has misadjusted take up ears then there may not be enough room for it to return between the trigger bow and the sear but now its sitting below it. The only way to see what it is truly doing is remove the grip safety then assemble the gun without it to watch the functions. Taking the gun apart to see if its sitting correctly can be misleading. Ive also seen instances were the sear spring is actually too short and it can get under the sear instead of behind it.
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have also seen too short sear springs causing problems. usually a weekend gunsmith trying to clip here and there to make the trigger lighter..
  18. lonewolf204

What I have figured out is the hammer likes .007 being pushed back far enough to cock. So I shortened the hammer stroke .008 and all seems to be well. It passed all the test, But I have not shot it yet. I still do not understand how this happened. I have checked and rechecked the safety fitting it looks good and function properly. I did replace all the pins when I put the new safty in.
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Glad you got it goin..