The Firearms Forum banner

1911 SAFTEY QUESTION

Tags
3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  armenjs802 
#1 ·
Hi guys, and gals. Long time lurker, first time poster. My usual daily carry is a 1911. I carry in a Comptac Minotaur holster, or a Bianchi Professional. I always carry cocked and locked and do not have a problem with it, "BUT" Now and then the Thumb Safety gets flipped off in the holster, regardless of the holster. I realize there is no way the gun will go off without the grip safety engaged and the trigger pulled but it still bugs me. The safety does not feel loose at all and has that "Click" it should have when engaging or disengaging. Is there a way to tighten up the safety, or is this pretty normal?

#4 ·
One way is to remove the plunger spring and stretch it. Be sure to make a small kink in the spring before reinstalling it. This will help keep the spring from flying out when removing the thumb safety. The longer spring will keep more tention on the thumb safety.

I carry my Commander in a Wilson Combat Lo-Profile holster. It has a piece of leather shielding on the back side to keep the pistol from rubbing my body. It also has a guard that pushes up on the thumb safety to keep it engaged.

It works.

#7 ·
When I first got my Kimber 10mm Eclipse Custom II, I didn't like the fact that there was not as much resistance as I would like when the thumb safety was switched between on and off. I asked a gunsmith about it, and he said that the resistance is determined primarily by the shape of the flat part of the safety that lies along the edge of the slide. At some point, Kimber (unsolicited) changed my thumb safety to what was clearly a different type (they didn't say what it was), and I liked (and still like) the way it feels much better. I've never had it accidentally switch off (in my homemade under-the-shirt vertical shoulder holster), but I've always had the habit of feeling of it fairly often, to verify that it IS still on. I've been carrying in that holster everyday, all day, for about six months or so, and the safety lever has become pressed down into the (fairly soft) leather, creating a depression, so that probably helps keep it in place also. But if I EVER found it in the off position, I would definitely do something about it ... I want ALL of my safeties working all the time, except when I'm coming onto target. You might be able to get a gunsmith to do some custom shaping of that flat part of the thumb safety, if you can't find a stock one that provides better resistance. And/or modify your holster so that the lever tends to be held better in place.

#8 ·
Don't want to hijack this thread but I also have a question about 1911 safeties; a similar problem but opposite effect. The thumb safety on my RIA 1911-A2 seems to have a fairly solid feel and yet for some reason when shooting the safety is being engaged unintentionally. It's only happened to me once, but each of the four other people that have shot this thing have had it happen to them multiple times, and for the life of me I don't know why. Any clues?

#9 ·
Don't want to hijack this thread but I also have a question about 1911 safeties; a similar problem but opposite effect. The thumb safety on my RIA 1911-A2 seems to have a fairly solid feel and yet for some reason when shooting the safety is being engaged unintentionally. It's only happened to me once, but each of the four other people that have shot this thing have had it happen to them multiple times, and for the life of me I don't know why. Any clues?
My guess and it is only a guess it is shooter error, meaning your thumb is probably the culprit during recoil.

Ron

#11 ·
A trick you may use to help prevent the phenomenon is to file a transverse groove with a small triangular file in the back of the safety where it meets the plunger in the down position. Any tendency for the safety to pop up is countered by the pressure of the plunger in the groove. If you want to get fancier, a Dremel tool can be utilized to grind a slight teardrop shape in the slide stop at the same location, and it serves the same purpose.

Now, remove the plunger spring and stretch it. Be sure to add a kink by twisting the spring slightly. This will keep the spring from flying out as easily during dissembly. The stretched spring will put more pressure on the safety to keep it in place.

I hope this helps so keep us posted on the problem.

#12 ·
Yep. Watch those thumbs. I had a similar problem when first shooting my 1911. My thumb would hit the slide stop, just barely. Enough for it to lock back. I didnt figure it out til after I sent it in to be worked on...... A lot of people at work are doing the same thing with the M&P we have to carry now. Take some time and work on your fundamentals. Practice your grip and be concious of it when practicing. After doing this for a while, it will be muscle memory and you shouldnt have the problems with it.

IF the safety is too loose, do like Sam said and stretch the spring.

#13 ·
The slide stop problem can be caused by an extended slide stop. If not hitting it with your thumb when firing the pistol, the extra weight can cause the slide stop to bounce.

The slide release bounce problem can be corrected as described by the above post. :)

Watch your grip and correct if necessary. Also try the both thumbs up grip.

#14 ·
It was a grip issue back when I first started shooting it 10-12 years ago. Once I got it back, I went and shot again. As soon as it happened that time, I knew it and felt it. After that, I changed my grip slightly and it has never happened since.

#15 ·
For me anyway, this was no rookie mistake, and only happened once. Before it happened to me I assumed that everyone else was gripping it wrong, now I'm not so sure. All I know is of all the 1911's I've shot, this is the only time I've encountered this problem. Wonder if the fact that it's a double stack has anything to do with it?

Shooter45 that groove idea is a good one. I'll give it a try.

#16 ·
as long is your sear is disengaged from the trigger you are safe. Thumb safety block the trigger travel nothing else. That is why I don't recommend cocked and loaded and safety on. Unless you really trust your equipment and your GS, Ihave seen home made GS's bubba their 1911 for trigger pull and one lost his toe because of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.