The Firearms Forum banner

1911 slide lock

Tags
4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  RJay 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I don't know if it's user error issue or the compensator I installed. I put a comp on my Para 1911LTC this morning. It wouldn't turn into place so I had to file on the tab of it. Anyway, got it on (tight) but now the slide won't go fully rearward enough to lock it back. Any opinions appreciated. I am not a gunsmith and certainly not a 1911 afficianado but know enough to be dangerous. Ideas? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Was the slide stop working right before you put the compensator on it?

#4 ·
I've got a 9mm Taurus 1911 that I put one of those barrel bushing compensators on. Looked really great. Took it to the range and had weird problems with locking, ejecting, and even had two bullets hit the target sideways (keyholed). Took the compensator off and problems disappeared. Then even weirder, I put it back on and things kept working fine. Can't figure it out unless it was cocked to one side or something.

Check to see if you have yours mounted correctly.

#10 ·
I reckon I know what caused it. I removed the new one and put the original back in and it works fine.
There is a enough difference in length that I guess it prevents the slide from fully retracting. When I bought it online I didn't have high expectations. I suppose I could take a hacksaw to it and it'd work!
Thanks!

Attachments

#13 ·
I bought one of those exact bushing comps 20 some-odd years ago.. ...they suck, do not work, and actually can mess with the bullet trajectory in a negative manner. Although I didn't have operating problems as the OP had.

Since the comp-bushing was slightly tighter than my original, I cut the comp off. And filed all the finish off.

After cutting the comp off - no more trajectory issues.

Reactions: wvgunner
#17 ·
I brought one years ago, still have it,, no problems with it installed. At the time I had a injury to my left hand that made racking the gun hard, I found that by pushing against any hard object, table, fence post, what ever, instant chambering, No, it does not work as an effective compensator on a .45 but if you have problems racking the 1911 for any reason, it does that job very well. Once in a while I will install it just for the heck of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.