1911 with a .22LR Conversion Kit

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Kimber Man, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Questions :
    1) does anyone have their 1911 with a .22 cal. Conversion Kit ???

A) How does it perform ?(Firing)
    B) do you have to use certain( Brand) Ammo ????
    c) Is it worth buying the 22Cal. Kit ??
    d) Will Any Kit work better then the other ?
    e) Will the Kit work in all 45 ACP's ?

Looking for info. on above subject, because I'm thinking of buying one and I have serveral 45 ACP's.

Thank You in Advance for any help on this matter.
  2. dvl

dvl New Member

I'm looking forward to a reply here too, Kimber Man.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have the Marvel Precision Unit one. It has the barrel and sight fixed to the frame. The Unit two is like the Kimber and others where the sights are on the slide which moves in recoil. Marvel sends a ransom rest target with the Unit one (supposedly not the best group but a typical group), shot at 50 yds, and typically under 1/2 inch. The Marvel Unit one is claimed to shoot as well as the S&W Model 41 and it is similar in design while the Unit two is designed for Combat shooting practice and is not nearly so accurate.

Mine works fine (feeds great), is accurate, but likes match ammo (HiVel ammo makes mine not feed well and beats it up) or any Standard Velocity 22 LR. Yes, it is worth having as the Marvel shoots very well. The Marvel will fit more different frames (mine is a Colt Delta Elite 10mm frame which no one else's will fit). For your particular frame you have to ask questions. The Ceiner and the Kimber are restrictive and will not work with anything but a caliber that uses the 45 ACP ejector. I have heard that the Kimber is accurate but I think the Marvel Precision has the real corner on accuracy. If it is Combat shooting practice you want, the Marvel Unit two (uses only 22 HiVel ammo), the Kimber and the Ceiner work fine I'm told.

I also have a CZ 22LR adapter (Kadet) for my CZ75B (40S&W) and it shoots well too. It also has the sights and barrel fixed to the frame. I am getting ready to quantize both the Marvel and the Kadet. The Marvel and the CZ Kadet can be adapted for red dots or a scope and I am trying to decide if I have to add the red dot or scope to do a real comparison.

LDBennett
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

I have, and have shot the J.A. Ceiner conversion (alloy slide, sight move with slide, as the Marvel model 2), a Day Arms conversion, a couple of Colt units. While I do not own, but have shot, the Marvel #1, I will tell you it is on a par with a well built High Standard pistol, for both accuracy and reliability.
    The Kimber, and Wilson (I think), units are built by Ceiner; sold by others.
    They are on a par with a Ruger Mk1, or Mk2, as to accuracy, in my experience. Not quite target grade, but accurate enough to hunt squirrels with, for me. The Ceiner unit is the least expensive, and a bargain compared to the overpriced and unreliable Colt comversions.
    Hope this helps....
    P. S. The Day Arms conversion unit will out shoot most; no longer in production, but a conversion unit at $300, or a complete gun, bearing the Day Arms stamp (usually on an Essex frame) at $600-$650, is a steal, if you want the best!
  5. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Thanks for all replys.......good info. now I have to make up my mind....which one
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I have both the Colt Ace conversion and the Colt Ace Service model pistol. Neither are bullseye guns, but they give you the ability to shoot .22 with the realization of a true .45. Both have the floating chamber.
  7. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

YO Texmex, how much dinero 4 both them pieces?? :cool:
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

Which one of us Tex-Mex rascals are you addresssing?
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Jo, chu dam janki gringo! Chu dun av nuff muni!

Actually I bought both of them in the mid 70's from a friend who needed money. The conversion kit is NIB with all papers and the Service model is 98% in box. They are safe queens! Sorry IB! I do have a speare mag for them.