1911a1 Remington Rand

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by roberdowski, Aug 26, 2009.

1. roberdowski

roberdowski New Member

Did Remington Rand produce any 1911a1's without serial numbers?
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Not for USGI production. If there is no serial number on your piece, there are two possibilites:
    1. The serial number was removed by someone, for some reason - and it is illegal to possess IF that number was removed. It can be restrored - talk to a licensed gunsmith.
    2. It is a "lunchbox" gun - meaning a plant worker smuggled parts home and built the piece from those stolen parts.
  3. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I once encountered a R Rand 1911, 1945 serial # range with no U.S. Govt. property marking.

Close exam of the frame was inconclusive as I had no know samples to compare it to at the time.. Still do not know whether it was a rare R Rand (that failed to get U S property marked) or a no name manufacturer frame in the R Rand serial # range for 1945.

Poster Jim Hauff is basically correct. Sometimes at marking can be restored by polishing and etching with acid, provided that it was not obliterated by stamping over it. I am not certain of what the BATF's current position is relative to a serial number restored by polishing and etching if it was deliberately removed as compared to being accidentally removed of made less than legible by polishing for refinishing. Deliberate removal or obliteration of a serial number on a firearm is effectively a felony.

Many GI WW II slides have ended up on frames made by private firms starting in the 1960's. These frames should have a makers name and serial number. Some may not account having been stolen before being serial numbered. Of course the same could be true of a R Rand frame from the WW II era.
  4. str8pipelmm

str8pipelmm New Member

I have one with no markings anywhere on at all, other than remington rand on the left side of the slide. It has no file marks or anything. It does have black grips and adjustable target style sights. This gun was my pa in laws and suposedly he had it before korea. He passed away a few years back so i cant ask him. Any info would be appreciated.