The Firearms Forum banner

1911a1 verify

Tags
1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Mikebiker 
#1 ·
So my grandpa gave me a 1911a1 for my birthday that my great grandfather carried during WW2 as an army combat engineer. It's a colt and has all the patent dates on the slide. There's a p and HS on the side of the barrel. The number 27 on the bottom left of the trigger and h and g on the hammer stop. The SN is z114xxx. Just trying to get some back ground info and see maybe what year it was made.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Are you sure that Z isn't a 7 ?
We really need clear pictures taken outside to get the correct lighting.
And please include a clear closeup of the serial number and slide markings.

It appears to me to be a fancied-up 1911, not a 1911A1, as it does not have the frame cutouts Skipper asks about, or the arched mainspring housing of the A1.

A camera with macro setting should be used for closeups.

#9 ·
It is definitely a 1911 (not 1911A1) frame. The serial is questionable as all 1911's had no more that a 6 digit serial. If the "Z" (or whatever it is) was added later, who knows where it came from. The gun appears to have had quite a bit of work done on it. (the colored bits and pieces are interesting....)

As said earlier, more pictures, better lighting, and close ups of the markings are needed.

#10 · (Edited)
+1 on deadin's comments. Also, it has either had the lanyard loop cut off or the mainspring housing was replaced with a non-loop flat housing. This is not unusual....it aids magazine changes.

#12 ·
It also has the long trigger of the 1911 model. The gold plated parts are not original nor are the grips. It looks like the grips have Colt Medallions in them meaning they may be original colt accessory grips. The stag is very nice and looks like it has age on it. It should be marked US property someplace. If the Z is a C it is a commercial model and not military.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.