The Firearms Forum banner

1911s Suck???

Tags
7K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  dad2thebone 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
My opinion of Mr. Yeager cannot be expressed on this, or any other forum, without me getting banned for language! :mad:

I'll say this though... watch the below video. Others claim that Mr. Yeager is the guy who runs for the hills at around the 27 second mark.

To be honest, I've never been in a fire fight like that nor do I care to be in one. I'm not sure, however, that I could run and leave my friends/comrades to fend for themselves in that situation. :(

#5 ·
I honestly have to agree with the guy, I've been screaming for years about the 'aftermarket' 1911's that are not using true to spec parts. JMB's design works, many variations do not. I now have a Glock on my side because my 1911 won't digest most HP ammo reliably. the 1911 is a masterpiece of hand craftsmanship where glocks and others can be munched out in assembly line fashion and function flawlessly.

as much as I'm a die-hard 1911 guy, glocks do work all the time outta the box. my 1911 isn't going anywhere though.

#6 ·
Unfortunately he does tend to go somewhat overboard on his opinions.

In this video

his attitude seems to be that most peoples carry weapons suck (his words). Early in the video he states that if he doesn't review a particular weapon it's likely because he does not think highly of it. And if you read the comments he seems pretty good at dropping F bombs on viewer comments (and I'm not attempting to defend the viewer comments since most of them aren't a whole lot better). Apparently he's a real classy guy!

#7 ·
I didnt bother watching the video, I could care less what the guy thinks. I own 18 1911s, all of which cycle any type of ammo I feed them and function flawlessly at all times. If you happen to buy a 1911 that wont cycle certain ammo, it only takes a small amount of work to fix the problem. I dont know what the big deal is. Its still the best platform out there. I cant stand the sight of a glock and wouldnt trade you one good 1911 for 20 glocks. And I mean it. I have carried and will always carry a 1911 in some form or fashion and as for this guys opinion, well, you know what they say about opinions......

#8 ·
My single 1911 is a parts gun, bought WAY back when you could order all the parts and get them through the mail.
Spent a day building, tearing down, and re-building it until I got it right.
I could already field strip one in the dark, but this is a COMPLETE assembly; quite a bit different.

And it is flawless.
It used to jam on occasion using soft lead semi-wadcutters, but a bit of polish on the feed ramp took care of that -
It has not failed once in the last 35 years, and is the bedside piece I RELY on.
Shoots anything.
And always hits where I aim it.

I love my Glock, but that is a CCW weight thing only. Given my 'druthers when facing a BG and 40 feet, I will take the 1911 that WILL put them down.

#9 · (Edited)
This video rambles, sorry, I've got this " life" thing going on, also,

unfortunately. Did he ever get to the point?

IMHO, it's pretty simple. There's the 1911A1,

and everything else. Nothing else will ever be a

1911A1. You're free, in this country, to think it sucks,

if you like.

If I'm ever again called up to defend your right to do, say, and think

whatever you like, in this fine, great nation, the 1911A1 will

be, by personal choice, the sidearm with which I will trust my, and

my fellow Americans lives to, throughout the conflict...

#10 ·
Found the video I was remembering about Tactical Response

At around 14 seconds into the video, check out where a cameraman is standing. He's down range from the shooters taking still pictures of them shooting.

In this video, Yeager defends the practice of having a cameraman down range as safe

Personally I hope that cameraman is really well paid! I'm guessing he must have nerves of steel. I could never do that without soiling my shorts!! :eek:

#12 ·
Hmmm cant afford the real thing,bet he wouldnt like my pint sized copy.Llama 32acp.
Never tried one of those Llamas myself.

Check out the Rock Island Armory GI if you're looking for an inexpensive 1911.

#14 · (Edited)
Notice the ribs on(yours) the factory grips,and most have a vent rib.
Mine has neither,modded 3 dot sights bobbed hammer etc.
Do you cc it at times?
The Rock Island Armory GI is around 500 here.I likem small also with little felt recoil,can shoot a full size 45,dont however desire one in a pocket rocket.

#15 ·
Found the video I was remembering about Tactical Response

At around 14 seconds into the video, check out where a cameraman is standing. He's down range from the shooters taking still pictures of them shooting.

In this video, Yeager defends the practice of having a cameraman down range as safe

Personally I hope that cameraman is really well paid! I'm guessing he must have nerves of steel. I could never do that without soiling my shorts!! :eek:
as long as the shooters are properly disciplined, I see nothing wrong with the cameraman's position, especially at that distance. I will go downrange to service my targets in my lane up to 50m + with someone shooting one or two lanes over (unless we're doing steel of course) without any worry. on your average rifle/pistol range open to the public? nowhere is safe!

same with CQB, many many shots inside of a room are within as close as a meter of your buddy, as long as everyone is properly trained and dialed in there's no worry. Nothing like a blast of 5.56 three feet in front of your face! inside no less...

#16 ·
as long as the shooters are properly disciplined, I see nothing wrong with the cameraman's position, especially at that distance. I will go downrange to service my targets in my lane up to 50m + with someone shooting one or two lanes over (unless we're doing steel of course) without any worry. on your average rifle/pistol range open to the public? nowhere is safe!

same with CQB, many many shots inside of a room are within as close as a meter of your buddy, as long as everyone is properly trained and dialed in there's no worry. Nothing like a blast of 5.56 three feet in front of your face! inside no less...
I suspect that's the key... if you are in combat with other soldiers who have similar training, and have developed a camaraderie between them then being downrange is probably not a big deal! A group of people taking a training class who may or may not have ever met each other before that class... maybe not so much!

With my luck I'd be standing down range of Barney Fife! :eek: You just never know where that one bullet is gonna go! :p

#17 ·
Notice the ribs on(yours) the factory grips,and most have a vent rib.
Mine has neither,modded 3 dot sights bobbed hammer etc.
Do you cc it at times?
The Rock Island Armory GI is around 500 here.I likem small also with little felt recoil,can shoot a full size 45,dont however desire one in a pocket rocket.
I made the corian Grips and converted the frame to 1911 grip screw bushings and grip screws to accomodate the handmade grips. The sights are factory black sights and have been zeroed at 15 yards. the rear sight had to be cut down about .050" whoch dang near put it on the slide. But it shoots center now and the wife loves it!

I do not carry it. it is way too small for my hands and the hammer bites the hell outta me. I gave it to the wife, I carry a fullsize 1911 on occasion and keep a Tokarev in my pick-up at all times.

I just dig the hell out of a mini 1911.

#18 ·
Must be a good course, if that guy is willing to stand between targets; not sure I'd want 'students' firing past me. But yeah, unless you live and train together, wouldn't wanna be there myself!

the other factor is that the students firing close to him are probably very aware and careful just seeing him there. Yeager seems like a rough around the edges goofball but he's got what appears to be lots of practical experience.

#19 · (Edited)
the guys a mouth with no spine

justin who you hear in that video , is a aussie working with that team that day

this mutt's slandered everyone else there that day to cover his butt , you see justin at the front left of the vehicle he was in , the driver was KIA near the begining and the scuffling you here is justin trying to stop the bleeding but it stop before he stops it and he's trying to drag the other guy to were her can work on him to patch his wounds ( not too bad but bleeding a lot ) you hear him calling to the wounded guy to "cover me mate cover me i gotta check the other guy" he too was badly wounded and then the guy he asked to cover him passed out in the back

this has been discussed in many channels and i expect the wanker to appear here to flame us all and tell us we all know nothing cause he's been doing this since breakfast time yesterday ...

guys got the biggest case of penile friction burn ...

he's a hero just from standing up to the pain of it all

and he now runs a mob called tactical responce ??

tactical withdrawl more like it

if the mutt had not have started afterv the folks who where there and such this would have been another nothing

another renta wannabe in a PMC finding out combat aint what he thought , and with no SNCO leadership to put some steel into his spine , this is what happens ( and why leadership is so important in situation like this)

it fell apart , they shoulda scarpered but did not

but instead now the mouth with the most is ranting and attracting attention and peoples just derision of his actions ion the face of his claims as to how good he is

when the proof of the pudding leaves a very sour taste indeed

he's a wanker in short .. big ideas and self esteem but little substance

#20 ·
good to know, I've never heard of the guy before today. Glad someone knows the scoop on him; seems like most of these 'youtube' stars spawn from failure elsewhere in the real world.

There's lots of guys who talk tuff but when bullets start flying, guess who's curled up into a ball suckin' their thumb?

#21 · (Edited)
now i'd like to clear THAT up without seeming like i'm mad or correcting you

i've seen a lot of good soldiers tuck tail and make small when the rounds fly for the first time (for them anyway)

its how they come outta that that makes em or breaks em

a good sergeant or corporal will sort that and guide the guy to what needs to be done

a bad start aint the end , sometimes its just a start ..

but PMC's and i've done a few trips with them so speak from experience aint the military , far from it , most are cowboys , some are good , very good even , but the good are all experienced operators and mil trained .. been there done that

you dont get good teams from newbies , full stop

so if anyone who's really been there done that , may have started a bit scared .. big deal

its how they carried on after that counts

seen it too many times for it not to be correct a slow starts nothing but a wake up to reality .. some folks take a sec or three to catch it all and realise its them who can stop it ..

no harm no foul ..

but to act like the dork in the vid.. sheeeesh

wiped ..

#22 ·
no, I hear ya Jack and wholeheartedly agree. proper leadership ensures the future generation of any given individual and unit; and everyone has made a mistake or two or been caught off guard. Seen folks that have deployed and literally the most stressful event they logged was a distant rocket attack and come away scarred for life where some folks can time and time again get wrapped up in unbelievable intense combat and walk away like it ain't nothing. It's all what ya make of it and like most things, there's a learning curve.

#24 ·
I decided to watch his arrogant video. Its pretty amusing. He takes his training experience to make an issue as FACT. If that isnt arrogant, what is. He is a hater. See, I hate glocks. I hate the looks, the feel and the arrogant following of the gun. But, I dont say its junk. I dont care if you can freeze it and run it over. I live in florida and dont plan on moving. I will NEVER own a glock. I promise you, I wont take one for free. He claims 1911s wont function. Tell Sam that, he has just run almost 7000 rounds thru his spartan without cleaning it and it refuses to hickup. I have several 1911s that I have run literally thousands of trouble free rounds thru. I would trust my life on them any day. I dont need a kazillion rounds in my magazine. If I cant get myself out of a situation with 16 rounds of 45acp, I should throw away all my guns today.
I am happy that he has found the plastic love of his life and in his small mind he can see no further..its people like him that turned me off to glocks to begin with. I will continue to buy and shoot the most beautiful and brilliant pistol platform ever created. But, I also own plastic guns and revolvers too. I am not so small minded that I cant see other designs have value. I am glad Jack has exposed him for what he really is.

#25 ·
I say let em hate 1911s, and let his followers hate em too. Thats just more for me and more for you..

Yeah, I just wrote that.. pretty good huh. :D

Thank You.. Im here all week. ;)

#26 ·
I say that 1911 owners are too smart to take the dipsticks class.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.