1913 mosin nagant

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by remington1990, Dec 8, 2010.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I found a 1913 mosin nagant for 150 it looks pretty good but I don't know what to look for on the mosin nagant the bolt looks good too
  2. The_Guv

The_Guv New Member

There's not much to a Mosin Nagant, I have an M44 Carbine myself. If you're looking for a shooter, check the barrel, bolt parts, chamber and sights. For the most part, Nagansts are simple as all hell, can't go wrong

One thing I found that helped accuracy on mine, was to put the trigger guard and interacting parts back on after stripping but leave it loose, and then give it a little bang off the floor (the butt, tap the butt on the floor) to settle the parts before tightening, I picked this up off another shooter and I DID notice an increase in accuracy, not a huge one or anything but noticeable
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  3. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

It being almost a 100 years old would it be safe to shot. the barrel Look pretty good to I didn't look at the rifling on it
  4. The_Guv

The_Guv New Member

SHOULD be safe to shoot, these things were meant to last. As with any gun you're unsure about though, have it looked at, firing pin protrusion, there's a small tool meant for the Nagants, it's a combination screwdriver, firing pin protrusion gauge and firing pin wrench. It is commonly known as a "bolt tool" and it's easy to get, the two inner notches check the protrusion of the firing pin, it should touch the top of one and not touch the top in the other if I remember rightly. Botl must be in the uncocked position of course
    [​IMG]

Much more info available here

As for headspace, you'd need the guages to check, most gunsmiths should have them
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  5. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

Are they many older mosin nagant out there I havnt looked at the much til just within the last month
  6. The_Guv

The_Guv New Member

Mosin nagants can be old or new, no real specific time period, it served for a long time
  7. RustyBarrel111

RustyBarrel111 New Member

If you're buying it from a reputabile dealer, ask them to check it out for you. That way you won't have any doubts.
  8. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Active Member

My mosens are dated 1939 and 1944 they look to be unused.I heard that if they were used the soldier wrote his name under the buttplate.Also thanks, now I know what that goofey looking tool is used for.
  9. The_Guv

The_Guv New Member

Glad you now know what the tool is for, it's also a super awsoem screwdriver ;)

I don't know about the name under the buttplate thing, I doubt it though, with the attrition rate and all.
  10. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

If it's dated 1913 it's probably a Hex receiver. The dates stamped on the barrels are when the barrel was installed. The receiver manufacture date is stamped on the bottom side of the tang. You can have a receiver made in 1891 with a 1967 barrel date stamp.
    Yes, they are still in service, the Afghan Police Forces use them.
    Good chance it could be an original 1891 model. In 1930 they started rebuilding all the 1891 rifles into 91/30's, few escaped that fate.
    That loop in the Mosin tool is for getting the bayonet off and on.
  11. waynescyclegarage

waynescyclegarage New Member

I have a 1928 91/30 called an EX Dragoon. Hex reciever. It is in excellent shape and fun too shoot. There are many sites to look up the history.
    The pre 1930 seem to be a little scarcer and $150 is a good price if the rifle is decent. Have fun and enjoy.
    wayne
  12. waynescyclegarage

waynescyclegarage New Member

Thanks TRAPP55, I thought I knew what all the tools and stuff were for but I did not know about the loop and the bayonet!! Learn sompthing new every day.
    wayne
  13. phil-this

phil-this New Member

can I just say I LOVE the mosin. So much history and so much fun. Cheap ammo, cheap parts, cheap tools. Does it get better there are so many enthusiasts out there. I am trying to sporterize my M44. I will get the 91/30 with all factory stuff later. I found so many things for it for such an old gun. Make sure you have a pro install any scope mounts though. Sometimes they are drilled and tapped too far in. I prefer the rail mount that attaches to the original sights. Just take out the pin, take off the sight, put in the rail and pin and good to go. also here is a great sight to show you all the breakdown stuff. I love this place.

7.62X54r.net
    my friend sells parts cheap but I am not a shameless plugger. If you want his site you can pm me.
  14. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

MOST of the Mosin's are exceptionally strong rifles. The ballistics of the 7.62x54R round are not terribly different from the heavy bullet loadings of the .30-06. Prior to WW1 both Remington and Westinghouse built Mosin's for export to Russia. After we became involved in the conflict, there were quite a few of these American made Mosin's that didnt get shipped to them. A number of these were used for trainers for National Guard units and some were even converted to .30-06 here in the US. Now, it has often been a concern here that the .30-06 might be a little "hot" pressure wise for the Mosin design and heat treating specifications; I am not sure that this issue has ever been adequately resolved. Suffice it to say, in comparison, there have been concerns about low number 1903 Springfield rifles and their "strength" over the years as well, but there are quite a few of em, cut into sporters 60+ years ago, that still go into the woods in search of deer, elk and antilope every fall. Providing you dont load beyond factory ammo pressures, MOST Mosin's should be perfectly fine shooters, provided that they are in serviceable condition.