1916 Luger, "Made in Germany"

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by vlad0002, Apr 24, 2009.

1. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Hello,

I am considering buying this gun from a friend of mine. All serial numbers are matching, in and out, except for the magazine. It's 1916. One unusual feature -- it has "Made in Germany" stamped right under the imperial acceptance marks on the right side. Safety reads "GESICHERT". As it was explained to me, this is because the gun was probably imported to GB or USA right after WWI, as they had a surplus of these in Germany. I was also told this should not affect the value this way or another. Bore id "just fine", per the local gunsmith, who examined the gun.

Any ideas and help will be much appreciated. I't basically comes down to if $1050 is a fair price for the gun or not. I'm new here, so please let me know if this is a right place to ask.

Thanks.

Vlad

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. Danny

Danny Member

You have a very nice Luger, however the Made In Germany, kills the collector value very much. I have both of the 1906 American Eagles are they are also stamped Germany, but thats okay as they were made for the USA. Yours being a military Luger should have no Germany on it, however 1050 is really a good price.
    Take Care
    Danny
    PS: Are you a Doctor in Ill or live in New Mexico with a wife named Malinda?
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  3. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

Your picture appears to have a wooden base magazine and if so that's good. These came with two mags with the serial number stamped in the wood. They were also marked #1 & #2. Here is one a Maj. brought back from North Africa after WWII. He cut down his .45 holster to fit the Luger.

Attached Files:

4. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Thank you for your replies.

I kind of felt that the "Made in Germany" would be an issue for the collector value. But some Luger guy (he had a few Lugers on his table) told me this should not have a significant effect, as the mark was made pretty close to the year of production by a producing country when exporting the unissued surplus gun. Although I see the point: anything added to the gun post-production would damage it's collectability.

Thanks again.

Vlad
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

There were some DWM/Krieghoff Lugers that were stamped MADE IN GERMANY. They had a 4 digit serial number with the letter "i" prefix.

This model was made by DWM for commercial sale by Krieghoff. Three variations are known. The first is all DWM (including toggle) with the "Krieghoff Suhl" above the lanyard loop. The second "f" in Krieghoff is deformed due to a defective die. The second has a DWM toggle with "Heinrich Krieghoff Waffenfabrik Suhl" on the right side of the frame. This variation is also marked "GERMANY". The third variation has a Krieghoff toggle, with "MADE IN GERMANY" on the right side of the frame. This last variation is very limited. This is a quote from The Luger Handbook, written by Aarron Davis.

EDIT:
    There was also some 1923 DWM commercial versions with MADE IN GERMANY on them. This model was made for commercial sales both within and outside Germany.... Many experts believe the Dutch variation is actually a military contract model due to its serial number placement. This entire model differs from the 1920 Commercial only by the serial number range. Also excerpted from The Luger Handbook.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Military WWI Lugers with the Germany stamp were not unissued pistols. At the end of the war the German army was demobilized and most guns were turned in to the government. Since there was a terrible depression and need for money, many of the pistols which were in mint or near mint condition were exported and these were stamped "Germany" in accordance with existing export/import laws. Some collectors look down on this marking, but others consider it an authentic variation and the value should be unaffected. The price mentioned above appears to be about right if all numbers match including the firing pin and grips, and the bore is bright and clean.
  7. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Reviving an old thread here...

I have a question about the stock lug. The 1916 Lugers were produced with the lug, but this one has it's lug ground off -- see the last picture. The job is very clean, barely noticable. Is there any story about that? Is it a known thing, and what's the reason behind it? If it was done post-production, would not that spot, at least, have to be re-blued? And how does that affect value?

Thanks.

Vlad
  8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The grinding off of the lug seriously diminishes the value of this Luger. Many Americans did this to their Lugers under the mistaken belief that it was a violation of federal law to have a pistol which would accept a stock. Today we know that this was never true. The pistol is now a non-collectible with a shooter value of about $700.