1916 Luger P08

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by steve s., Sep 3, 2012.

1. steve s.

steve s. New Member

Recently purchased this handgun with several atachments. It has a snail drum, attachable butt stock, 16" rifle barrel and a leather case. The barrel on the gun measure at 3 1/4" but that does not include the threaded part that screws into the gun so maybe it's a 4" barrel the longer rifle barrel measures at 15.5 " not including the the threads that screw into the frame so maybe 16"? I am wanting to learn more about this gun and it's options. The gun has what I believe to be the date of 1916 and the frame that the longer barrel is attached to has a date of 1918 on it. The gun and the frame on the longer barrel both have the number 9413 in them maybe the serial number? Most of my gun experience is limited to shotguns being as where I live it's about all you can hunt with. My computer experience is terrible at best also, so I'm a little slow at it.

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well, don't know, however I believe the 4 inch barrel was made in Austria, the gun wasn't. I also see three different serial numbers. Contributors. much better versed in Luger's than I, will be along .Pictures are too fuzzy to really make out the proof marks
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The 4" barrel is a post-WWII commercial replacement barrel, not original to the gun. The proof/acceptance marks are normal for a 1916 pistol.

The grips also appear to be replacements, and the grip frame appears to have been reblued at some point, the finish not being consistent with a 1916 date.

Jim
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

As noted above, these pistols originally started out as WWII military weapons, but they have been modified and now have mixed number parts and have been refinished. They have no collector value, and are only of use for shooting. Shooters in average condition sell for about $600, but the one with the longer barrel is probably of more interest and may bring somewhere around $750.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I think WW meant "WWI" for that 1916 pistol.

As to the longer barrel, we would need pictures on that one as well, plus pics of the snail drum magazine, buttstock and case. Sixteen inches is a long barrel for a Luger (though not unknown). The carbines and the artillery model have barrels shorter than that.

One expert says that long (up to 24") barrel Lugers were offered for sale in the U.S. in the 1920's, in a case with a drum magazine, stock, and sometimes a mounted telescope, and notes that these are very rare. Sometimes, the customer could specify the barrel length. The barrels were made in Germany, though sometimes they were mounted in the U.S.

Jim
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Also pictures of the snail drum and stock, if original, they are worth more than the gun.