1916 Model Automatic Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by erion109, Dec 17, 2010.

1. erion109

erion109 New Member

I have acquired a pistol and I'm not exactly sure what it is...On the slide it is stamped "1916 MODEL AUTOMATIC PISTOL". The serial number is 10189 and it also has "EA" and a crown above it stamped on body right above the grip. On the bottom of the frame, by the magwell, it is stamped "Made in Spain". Any ideas of what it is or what it's worth? Here is a site that includes a picture of it, but no other information: http://www.earmi.it/armi/atlas/230.htm

Attached Files:

• p1.jpg
      p1.jpg
      File size:
      133.9 KB
      Views:
    • p2.jpg
      p2.jpg
      File size:
      113.4 KB
      Views:
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

This is a cheap copy of a Colt and/or FN .25 auto pistol made in the 1920s. Value, especially in that condition, is about $60
  3. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

The logo on the grip panels belongs to Echave y Arizmendi of Eibar Spain.
    The gun falls into the general classification of a "Ruby" pistol made by many small shops and in varying quality. Probably made sometime in the first half of he 20th Century. Not really "collectable" other than as an example of inexpensive Spanish pistols.
  4. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Nice little holdout pocket pistol :)

Best thing to do, polish the slide rails, clean it up nice, and use it for a backup ;)
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Ruby was orignally a tradename of Gabilondo & Co., later makers of the Llama handguns. In 1916, during WWI, France was in desperate need of pistols and contracted with Gabilondo to make the gun in large quantities. They didn't have the capacity, so they engaged some 50 other Spanish companies to make basically the same gun. Gabilondo pistols were of fairly good quality; some of the guns made by others were, to be charitable, not as good.

Some of the makers continued production of the same pistol after the war.

All those guns are referred to as "Ruby type" pistols; value is low, around $100-150 for one in good shape and functional. Note, though, that parts are unavailable and that parts will usually not interchange among makers.

Jim
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

They will also not interchange between the same makers with out a lot of hand fitting.
  7. erion109

erion109 New Member

Well I got it for $100. I thought I may have gotten a really good deal, but after reading this post, maybe just fair? Thank you for all if the information. Like someone else mentioned, just a good back-up.

When you said polish the side rails, what do you think would be the best product to use?

Thanks,
    Jayson
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If it works, and is in reasonable shape, you got a fair deal. If it is broken (as many are), you are out of luck. But I wouldn't trust that gun for serious use.

Jim