1916 Spanish Astra

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by djdarrin, Nov 28, 2010.

1. djdarrin

djdarrin New Member

I just inherited this Astra from my father-in-law. He registered this in 1968 but I have no clue who he bought it from. I believe the first time it was fired in the last 30 years was this past Saturday when I took it to the range. I have cleaned it up as well as I could (took it to a gunsmith by my house and he said he couldn't do much more with it at this point), but I did have some issues while firing it. About every 2nd or 3rd round, I would get a stove pipe shell. What could this be from? The spring appears to be pretty good in force, but as I'm not familiar with this pistol, I don't know what to expect. The magazine is only holding 8 rounds and I am reading that this should be able to hold 9 - but since my magazine doesn't appear to have some of the markings of others that I have seen on this site, perhaps it's not the original? Would a new magazine help?

Thanks in advance!
    Darrin
    [​IMG]
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

In most stovepipe cases, the magazine is to blame, but you also need to look to the ammo. Most .32 pistols were designed for full metal jacket and some won't work with the new hollow points. Smoothing the feed ramp with some emery cloth may be all that is needed, or there may be some other problem.

Just FWIW, I would not depend on that old pistol for serious purposes even if you get it working.

Jim
  3. djdarrin

djdarrin New Member

Thanks Jim. I was using FMJ, round nose. The ramp seems pretty clean, as I spent some time yesterday looking at it. I am planning on getting a new magazine for it, as that seems to be the one part that shows it's age.

I'm not looking for using this gun other than as a fun piece to shoot at the range every once in awhile anyway, but appreciate the help!
  4. Archie

Archie Member

Was the pistol stove piping an empty case or a unfired case?

If an empty shell doesn't eject properly, the slide either isn't opening fast enough - maybe dried up oil in the works, or the ejector is either broken short or gone.

It it's an unfired round in the ejection port, the magazine lips are too wide. Any of that help?