1917 Artillery Luger with capture papers

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by chuck101, Nov 30, 2012.

1. chuck101

chuck101 New Member

thanks rjay
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

chuck101, We gun nutz enjoy the research, most of us have more books than we have shelf room:) What makes it worth while, when someone takes the time to return and say thank you. As Gentlman Jim Hauff used to say, Thank you for Thanking. By the way, welcome to the forum:)
  3. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

I think Jim K covered the percentage issue pretty well.
    That is the reason why excellent quality pictures are essential in making a determination on the percentage of the finish and on its originality.
    The biggest detraction for this gun, in my opinion, is the wear on the side plate, which, together with the grip straps are usually the most worn parts of any luger.
    If the side plate was in 95% condition as well - this could have been a $3000-3500 gun.
  4. Danny

Danny Member

Hi Chuck,
    I have one exactly like yours , however your Luger has the adjustable front sight which is a rarity. Try to find a wooden bottom based mag to make it perfect. I have many Lugers, but no spare mags. The two you have are for Mauser Lugers , brought into play in the 30' up to 1942. The black based one should have fxo on it somewhere & could bring 3 to 4 hundred. If you would like to give me a pm I may have a source for you to obtain a wooden base one. All in all a very fine Luger valued at least 3200.
    Kind Regards
    Danny:)
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Some of the purists might not agree, but I usually make some exceptions for finish problems that are so common that they really detract little from the value. The Luger sideplate is one of those. That gun has perhaps more wear than normal, but it is a rare pistol that won't have some bluing wear on the sideplate. Another such area on the Luger is the muzzle. Some wear in that area is almost a given for any gun that has been in a holster or even in a box or a desk drawer. I have one Luger that I believe is unfired (proof/test firing aside), yet there is some holster wear on the sideplate and muzzle.

I don't say that such wear does not prevent a 100% designation - it does. But in verbal terms, I doubt any one would call my Luger anything other than excellent, the slight wear notwithstanding.

Jim