1917 German Luger

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by IronB26719, Mar 6, 2007.

1. IronB26719

IronB26719 New Member

Can anyone tell me any information on a 1917 German Luger, just basic information. I found one for sale and was wondering if it was a good buy. I've done searches on it but couldnt find anything on a 1917 Luger.
  2. pistolchamp

pistolchamp New Member

Lugers are one of my passions... oh, and my wife is a passion too... just in case she reads this.

1917 was near the end of WW1 and many Lugers were parted out. Some were junked (shame) and some were rebuilt using the parts and were re-stamped 1920 under the 1917 which was left intact. Most of these do not have matching numbers. When you find a double date Luger with matching numbers it is likely someone has gone through a bunch of parts and come up with the correctly numbered parts or has restamped some parts so they match. Either way is silly as the double date Lugers are collectable as is.

With most Lugers the three main considerations for value are condition, condition, condition... with rarity coming in an important fourth... with carbines at the top of the heap and artillery models next.

WW2 came along and Lugers were date stamped with codes for the year as were Mauser rifles and other Nazi guns... I guess they thought this would help win the war... or confuse us, or something.

A really good pic would be required to put a value to your Luger.
  3. IronB26719

IronB26719 New Member

ok thank you, i havent looked at the gun yet, will probably go later in the week. There was also a Charles Daly 45 auto and a Llama 9mm for sale. The luger for 100 in silver and the other two for 50 in silver.
  4. frank7234

frank7234 New Member

5. frank7234

frank7234 New Member

I too have a 1917 German Luger..All original with matching numbers and in great shape..It has what appear to be bone or plastic grips with an eagle in the middle and I wondered if this was original or aftermarket issue...Over the chamber are the initials DWM in fancy scroll..Any idea of the value of this gun?? Thanks...F
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Lugers are highly collectable. The prices I see at gun shows always start at over $500 for "shooter" quality versions. It is not unusual to see Lugers priced well into four digits! But at those prices you really have to know what you are getting.

LDBennett
  7. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I had the pleasure of shooting a luger a few months back and was incredibly impressed with its accuracy. I have wanted one for years but the price tag has always kept me from the purchase.
  8. prcko

prcko New Member

hi i inherited a luger 1917-1920.but i don't know its cost. and it has strange emblem on top. i would be thankful if somebody would know anything . thank you in advance :)
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

IronB, What do you mean when you say 100 in silver / 50 in silver?

prcko and frank, To come up with information about a particular pistol, pictures are needed! Post some pictures on the Ask the pros forum and you will get some feedback.
  10. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

If he is talking about dollars I wouldn't wait till later in the week. I would go asap. I never owned a luger, Nut from what I see here they are pretty pricey. Even if it didn't match it has to be worth a whole lot more that 100 dollars.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I wouldn't wait either, I would go immediately. I wonder if the guy is selling them out of the trunk of his car.:rolleyes::eek:
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

One thing to remember, there were no military Lugers with ivory, pearl, or stag grips. Period. Those were added in the U.S. by people who believed they made the guns more valueable when the opposite was true. The same with plating - silver, nickel, chrome - is always after service, done here or in Europe after WWII.

I don't know what IronB means by "in silver", but silver coins with a face value of $100 would be worth a lot more than $100. Depending on the coins, maybe a whooole lot more.

Jim
  13. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Well, I think silver is running around $18.00 an ounce currently, so $100 face value of silver coins would be around $1800.00 (figuring a $1.00 coin contains about an ounce of silver.)
    That's pretty steep for a 1917 Luger.
  14. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I bought an S/42 1937, all matching for $600 back in 1992. I traded it for a broom handle Bolo. It goes down in my book of "Things I Never Should Have Done," right up there with a few others. TJ
  15. papawsluger

papawsluger New Member

im trying to find the elevated sites for a 1917 luger