1918 LUGAR ALL MATCHING NUMBERS VALUE?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Oldgold777, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Oldgold777

Oldgold777 New Member

A 1918 LUGAR WITH ALL MATCHING NUMBERS INCLUDING THE CLIP.THE BLUING ON THE GUN IS AN ORIGIONAL CONTIUOUS BLUING THAT IS HARDLY WORN SO I WOULD SAY ITS 95% GOOD.THEWOOD GRIPS ARE IN GREAT CONDITION AND DONT SHOW ANY REAL WEAR.MARKING ON GUN TOP IS DWM AND 1918. ON GUN SIDE APEARS TO BE THE FOLOWING LETTERS,THEY ARE IN A FANCY STLE SCRIPT, T OR G WITH A CROWN ON TOP FOLLOWED BY TWO S WITH A CROWN ON TOP OF EACH AND THE LAST SYMBOL LOOKS LIKE AN EAGLE ASCENDING WITH WINGS OUT AND A CROWN ON TOP. ON GUN BARREL WHERE IT MEETS THE GUN BODY IS THE NUMBER 8164 AND THEN BELOW THAT A LETTER C AND THEN BELOW THAT THE NUMBERS 883. THE NUMBER 64 IS REPEATEDLY STAMPED ON THE GUN IN VARIOUS PLACES.I WAS TOLD BY A GUN DEALER WHO EXAMINED IT THAT THE FIRING PIN AND CLIP ARE NUMBERED TO MATCH THIS GUN.THERES IS A RIDGE UPON THE REAR OFF THE GUN TO ATTACH A STOCK.THE HOLSTER IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION AND CONTAINS A TOOL IN A LEATHER POUCH FOR THE GUN.I WILL TRY TO GET BETTER PICTURES.IN CLOSING MY FATHER HAD ALOT OF LUGARS AND THIS PARTICULAR LUGAR WAS HIS BEST AS FAR AS CONDITION GOES.I APRECIATE ANYONE WHO CAN HELP WITH PRICING AS I AM NOT VERY KNOWLEDGABLE ABOUT GUNS.THANK YOU//////////////////////I AM UNABLE TO FIND A WAY TO DELETE THE OLD PICTURES AND ADD A BETTER ONES.THE GUN PRESENTS MUCH BETTER THEN THESE POOR QUALITY PICTURES HERE SHOW IT.IT IS ORIGIONAL AND NOT REBLUED.IF I CAN FIND OUT HOW TO GET A BETTER PICTURE ON I WILL.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

IF all the numbers truly match, and
    IF the finish is truly an original 95% and NOT refinished, and
    IF the magazine matches the pistol,
    the value would be in the vicinity of $2000. The holster appears to be in good condition and is of the police variety, so that would add at least another $200 to the value. To give you a better, more accurate answer than this, we need good sharp closeup photos of ALL markings, the grips, the year date over the chamber, the bottom of the magazine, etc.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The serial number is 8164 c (if that is a "c"). The 8,83 is the bore diameter, included as part of the proof markings. The caliber is 9mm Parabellum, the common "9mm" in widespread use today.

Jim
  4. Oldgold777

Oldgold777 New Member

Thank you both for your help.I kept this one lugar from my dads estate because of its condition and the gun dealer who wanted to buy it really paid alot of attention to it and told me even the firing pin had the origional number matching.That sounds odd to me because i wasnt aware a number would be added to even a firing pin.?????The clip has a wood ?? (a brown color to it) bottom to it with the matched numbers.Again thank you for your helping me.
  5. Danny

Danny Member

To me , as a collector , with all you have mentioned, The pistol Rig would run closer to 3 grand. These old war horses are going up in price every day. Ten years from now it will be in the 5-6k dollar bracket.Hope this helps you some?
    Kindest Regards
    Danny:)
  6. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Danny:
    I am trying to clarify - would you buy this gun for $3000 if it was offered to you, or would you be selling this gun for $3000 if you had one to sell?
  7. Oldgold777

Oldgold777 New Member

Ive found that when ive found something in a rare and good condition i pay the price because if i dont someone else will.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Just FWIW, when I give a value on a gun, it is my best estimate (call it a guess if you want) on what that gun will bring at retail in this area. It is not what a dealer will buy the gun for, but it is what a reasonable collector will pay. That does not mean it is a maximum. Some folks will pay very high prices on some guns (Lugers, for example), under the impression that they are very rare. A few Lugers are rare, and priced accordingly, but most are common guns and any good size gun show will have hundreds of them. Prices are driven up, not by rarity, but by buyers deceiving themselves as to the value and paying high prices for common guns in so-so condition.

Jim
  9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Very well put, Jim. I am a table holder at many gun shows in many parts of the country. Being retired, I love to travel to these shows not to sell, but to buy C&R firearms for my collection. I have become so selective nowadays that a Luger in mint condition doesn't excite me anymore if it does not come with two matching magazines. That being said, Luger sellers are shocked when I point out their guns are inexpertly reblued, mismatched, or missing parts. They don't understand the difference between a shooter and a collectible. Anyway, the mistique and aura surounding Lugers does affect buyers in a way that makes them emotional. They follow their feelings, not the facts when dealing on a Luger. I think Danny has found a way to single out these emotional buyers so as to extract high prices for his wares, and I say, "More power to him." I agree that the best way to snare an out of control buyer is to sell something on an auction, because here is where the compulsive and reckless buyers hang out. Personally, I like to avoid all the hassel of an auction and deal one on one. I think that is the most fair and satisfying way for both buyer and seller alike.
  10. Danny

Danny Member

This is not a shooter grade pistol & if it falls into the right hands, it never will be.
    Yes to the question on the 3 grand. If I did not have so many I would buy it less than a heartbeat. These are great investment pistols & if anyone wanted one, this would make a great one to nab.:)
    Kind Regards
    Danny
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, Levergunner,

At a recent gun show, I saw several "shooter" Lugers, guns I am sure Danny would run from as fast as he could, but which would be fine to shoot and study.

One was a WWI Luger with a decent reblue, but everything looked good, $950.

Another was an S/42 (I don't recall the date), with some rust all over, but not deep; numbers matched - $800.

Once past the super rare collectibles, and the "owned by royalty" tables, there were possibly 100 Lugers to choose from at reasonable prices (under $1100), not real collectibles, but good solid guns and probably good shooters.

Jim
  12. Oldgold777

Oldgold777 New Member

I apreciate all of the people who discussed my guns value here.I didnt mean to be snobby when i said id pay for something befor someone else got it if i wanted it or it would be gone.My area of expertise is in old classic motorcycles and i know i have actually had to pay more then an item is worth to insure i would be able to buy it.I know that in time the price i paid for it will be ok because the value goes up with time and origionmal items in origional condition are rare to find.The low on it here was 2,200.00 with holster.The high 3,000.00 with holster. I would sell this gun for 2,700.00.I think that is fair. Now i need to find where to sell it.Forgive my ignorance but i havent loooked to see if this has an auction on this site.If not could someone tell me a good place to auction this gun?Once again thank you all for helping me.If you could see the gun in person it puts the pictures of it to shame.This gun is very nice and the gun dealer who checked it out offered me 1,500.00 for it.I felt it was too low.Of course he would resell it so thats why he hit me low.Thanks again everyone.
  13. Danny

Danny Member

GOOD MAN , NEVER SELL WHOLESALE , AS SOME WOULD. PUT IT ON GU#BRO#KER.COM
    DANNY:)
  14. Oldgold777

Oldgold777 New Member

Thank you Danny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so grateful for your help.:)