The Firearms Forum banner

1924-EIBAR Pre-civil war VALUE?

12K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  tuckerd1 
#1 ·
It is coming up a 1924 Pre-Civil war Spanish Revolver when I look it up online. Markings on it can be seen in the images attatched. 1924-EIBAR
Any information would be helpful. Serial # is hard to read but appears to be 35351 or 35551
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Revolver Antique tool
Revolver Shotgun Trigger
Revolver Tool
Revolver Gun Shotgun

See less See more
#3 ·
It could be 1924, or it could be anywhere from 1918 to 1936 and depending on the maker even later ( 4 gun makers were allowed to resume productions after the civil war ). The serial number means very little on these guns. It looks like a Colt knock off but then again a number of Eibar makers made Colt and S&W knock off. Is there a makers name any where on the gun?? I'm not sure what information you are seeking, most knowledgeable gun people do not deem these safe to shoot because the unknown quality of the steel. The larger known makers used decent steel, the smaller makers used anything that was easy soft enough to hand file. The gun shown looks as if it was rode hard and put away wet, it is rusted and pitted, Value would me minimum.

#4 ·
George, I believe, maybe, the SPANISH civil war, which happened just before WW2.

Looks like a Smith copy to me - thumb latch, and the bolt notches show it rotates counter-clockwise - though the naked barrel does kinda scream Colt. :)

I also think it is a piece of junk. My brother has a similar gun. It's out of time. He told me he took it to the smith, who told him, "I get it in time, I shoot one cylinder-full, it's out of time." The metal is too soft to hold up.

added: I just blew the pix up, looking for a maker's name or logo. Didn't see one, but see the caliber is 32/20. So is my brother's. :)

#6 · (Edited)
That was my FIRST thought, when I saw the title.

I saw a movie, some years back. Taking place in the late 40s.

Many English kids, during WW2, were shipped to America or to Canada, to keep them safe from the bombings. This little girl in the movie had just come back home. Was about eleven, and had spent the last six years in the US.

It's her first day of class, and the teacher says, "We will continue where we left off yesterday, with the Civil War."

Little girl pops up and says, "I know all about that. We studied it last year. The North and the South went to war because the South wanted to keep slaves...", and the teacher interrupts her, and looking down her nose at her, says, "The ENGLISH Civil War!"

Don't remember anything else about that movie, but I sure remember the "boy, you're stupid" tone of voice of that teacher. :)

#7 · (Edited)
Deleted - misread original post.

But while I'm here, thanks for putting up clear pictures, Alowishes. So many people think we can read minds here.

I wish I could tell yo something specific about this gun, but these inexpensive, pre-1936 Spanish pistols were sometimes almost generic products, and no-one has ever really cataloged them. Yours does look like a civilian-market gun, so it probably is really 32-20. It is very common for people to misidentify 8mm revolvers made for the French by Spanish in WWI as 32-20.

Value is going to be very low for this one. There is more interest in these old Spanish pistols than there used to be, but they have to be in decent shape to sell for $100 or more. I had an Orbea 8mm revolver in this kind of shape, and I can't remember if I got $60 or $75 for it 2-3 years ago.

#8 ·
#9 ·
I have the same pistol. Found it in my dad's gun case after he passed.

It took a lot of research and everyone, online as well, said it was a trophy at best, unsafe to fire. It is a 1927 Eibar 38 Long Ctg Double-Action Pistol. The action rotates to the left rather than the right on most models. It is a knock-off of the Colt but it is a fun, and reliable pistol. I basically begged Black Hills Ammunition to product some ammo (because most places will try to sell you 38 special, which isn't the same - and not safe to fire in this weapon. It hires a little harder than a 38-Special but just as accurate. I was a Small Arms Repairman in the Army, so I was pretty sure the functions of the weapon appears to be working - but even in pristine shape, I decided to have a few gunsmiths look it over. They all verified that it was safe. Just thought I'd share since I had the pistol and was a bit disappointed that few encouraged firing it - except those that saw it in person. Like them, I would judge it based on the guns condition. Mine has obviously been locked away for a long time and rarely fired if hardly ever. Mine was 'reblued' at one time, according to one of the gunsmiths.

Attachments

#10 ·
#11 ·
#13 ·
Alowishes has not been here in 6 years. You most likely will not get a response from him. If you start a new thread with the info you have provide, you will probably get some more discussion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.