1929 model 94

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ambivolent, Apr 13, 2011.

1. ambivolent

ambivolent New Member

i have a winchester 1894 made in 1929 serial number 1,053,xxx in 30WCF with a 20"BBL it has a marbles semi buckhorn rear sight (may be original to the rifle not sure) with a post front sight

I was told when I first got it on another board that if the dovetail was cut at around 3-1/8" from the face of the receiver that it most likely came from the factory with the marbles sight and that is the case with mine

the bluing on the frame is non exsistant just a tiny bit left here and there it has a nice brown patina now ive had it stored at 70 degrees at around 45% humidity since i got it the barrel has nice bluing with wear only showing on the barrel bands and the rifling is nice and sharp

the wood shows signs of use small dings here and there and there is a crack in the rear stock near the uppar tang on the right side

trying to sell it and trying to get a ballpark figure on what i should ask for it if thats not too much trouble for you all.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello,

Your 1929 vintage Modle 94 Eastern Carbine is worth approximately $400. The cracked stock is the most negative issue.

Bert H.
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I don't think the hairline crack is going to be that much of an issue. It's certainly worth more than 400 by a few hundred. I don't think the Marbles sight is original but wont discount the possibility. Most of the 94's Ive seen from the 20's-30's had flip sights.
  4. ambivolent

ambivolent New Member

Below is a snippet of a post about the rear site

"However, the combination of the semi-buckhorn rear sight and the post-type front sight is curious. According to Arthur Pirkle's book on the Model 1894: "There are no known instances of the ...... buckhorn rear (being installed with the) post front sight, except by special order. Such combinations were always accompainied by other rare features." Measure from the front face of your carbine's receiver to the rear sight dovetail. If it measures between 1-3/4 to 2-5/8 inches, then it most likely left the factory with the ladder-type rear sight installed. If the distance is more like 3-1/8 inches, then the longer buckhorn sight was most likely installed."

I'm really curious about this part Since the dovetail on mine measures at 3-1/8" opposed to the 1-3/4 to 2-5/8 inches for the ladder style as I was told

ETA: upon closer inspection the gold bead front blade is marked Lyman
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011