1936'ish H&R Sportsman .22 Revolver Timing issue

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by FattySparks, Apr 29, 2012.

1. FattySparks

FattySparks New Member

Apr 24, 2012
    I have an H&R Sportsman that dates back to around 1936. When I pull back the hammer slowly, the cylinder doesn't quite line up with the barrel (needs to rotate a little more to line up). If I pull the hammer quickly, it seems to overshoot the right chamber. Any ideas on what the problem may be?

I have heard it could be the extractor, as well as the arm that pushes the cylinder.

Please help! This gun has a lot of sentimental value, as it was my grandma's gun.

Here are some photo's. If you need any more info, please ask!

TYIA,
    Fatty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Apr 6, 2008
    N. Utah
    Fatty,
    From what I see in your pics, it looks like someone did some work on the cylinder ratchet. It looks like a dremel wheel was applied to the end of each ratchet notch, and that is probably your problem. The hand/lever point that catches these notches looks okay to me for use on an unaltered ratchet, but by having these indentations you would need a longer hand/lever. Once the point of the hand/lever reaches those indentations, it is not long enough to continue rotating the cylinder as it just drops in a hole. You might want to wait for some other inputs, but that's my guess as to your problem.
    Old Gun Guy

3. Dan01

Dan01 Former Guest

Apr 20, 2012
    Goose Creek SC
    If that piece was mine, I would not use it for anything but looking at..I would do what ever type of preservation it took to protect it......This is a beautiful piece to be kept for future generations of family.