1936'ish H&R Sportsman .22 Revolver Timing issue

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by FattySparks, Apr 29, 2012.

1. FattySparks

FattySparks New Member

I have an H&R Sportsman that dates back to around 1936. When I pull back the hammer slowly, the cylinder doesn't quite line up with the barrel (needs to rotate a little more to line up). If I pull the hammer quickly, it seems to overshoot the right chamber. Any ideas on what the problem may be?

I have heard it could be the extractor, as well as the arm that pushes the cylinder.

Please help! This gun has a lot of sentimental value, as it was my grandma's gun.

Here are some photo's. If you need any more info, please ask!

TYIA,
    Fatty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Fatty,
    From what I see in your pics, it looks like someone did some work on the cylinder ratchet. It looks like a dremel wheel was applied to the end of each ratchet notch, and that is probably your problem. The hand/lever point that catches these notches looks okay to me for use on an unaltered ratchet, but by having these indentations you would need a longer hand/lever. Once the point of the hand/lever reaches those indentations, it is not long enough to continue rotating the cylinder as it just drops in a hole. You might want to wait for some other inputs, but that's my guess as to your problem.
    Old Gun Guy
  3. Dan01

Dan01 Former Guest

If that piece was mine, I would not use it for anything but looking at..I would do what ever type of preservation it took to protect it......This is a beautiful piece to be kept for future generations of family.