1939 German Luger

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bigman21380, Sep 28, 2010.

1. bigman21380

bigman21380 New Member

I was just given my grandfathers German Luger he brought back from Europe after WWII. I was wondering if anyone can tell me a little bit about it. When it was made and a value. I have the original holster and two magazines it appears that all the numbers match on it. I have one magazine that has the matching numbers and one that does not. The serial# is 6203. It has a 42 on top of it. It has 03 in various spots on it. It shoots great and is in pretty good condition considering its age. Here are some pics I took of it.

Thanks

Jamie

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I can't see all your pictures, but there is enough to provide some info. The pistol was made in 1939 by Mauser, of Oberndorf, Germany. In the WWII era, the Germans used code numbers or letters for arms manufacturers to conceal the source; Mauser was assigned several, including "42" and "S/42".

Look on the front of the grip frame under the barrel and you should see the serial number, perhaps with a following letter (in German script). That letter is part of the serial number and the number should always be recorded with the suffix, i.e., 1234a. Full identification of a Luger should also include the date and the manufacturer to avoid any possible duplication.

It appears to have considerable wear on the finish, but is otherwise in good shape. Since condition is the primary means of evaluating a firearm, I would put that gun in the $1200 range with the holster and magazines. If it had most of its original finish, the value would be considerably higher; alone it would probably be a $900 gun.

The three eagles are the inspection marks (for the receiver and the gun) and the proof/acceptance mark. The number is that assigned to the officer who headed the inspection team at Mauser at that time; his name is unknown.

Jim
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Can't get a good idea of how much finish is left on the pistol, but it appears to have at least 90%. If so, if all numbers really match including the firing pin and grips, plus an excellent bore, and with one matching magazine, the value would be $1600 to $1900. Depending on the condition of the holster and spare magazine, these would add another $250 to $450 to the value of the rig. I base these figures on the 100 or so Luger transactions I do each year. I also do many professional appraisals.
  4. bigman21380

bigman21380 New Member

The serial # under the barrel has something that looks like a U right under it. I have some better pictures I just couldnt post because they were to large. The finish is 90% plus has a few small rust spots. All of the numbers match. The one magazine I have that doesnt have matchin numbers has a spring issues that needs to be repaired but other then that the gun is tip top. The holster doesn't seem to have any markings on it.

Thanks

Jamie
  5. Danny

Danny Member

I respond the same as Wonder, that is at least a 2k rig & the matching mag and the holster, here on the east coast , would bring an easy 2500.
    Danny:)
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I am not sure what I am seeing. I looked at the picture of the top of the gun and the toggles look to be nicely blued, while the receiver appears to be a brown color (rust?); likewise, the side picture shows a receiver with some holster wear but what appears to be rust or corrosion on the barrel. It may just be a trick of the light, but that is the problem when basing evaluation of condition on pictures.

Jim
  7. bigman21380

bigman21380 New Member

The pictures are a bit off from the light there is hardly any rust at all. The gun sat in a drawer for the last 60 years or so and has probably only been shot a dozen times or so that I am aware of. I am goin to strip it down and make sure everything is oiled up real good. I proabably want shoot it very much if at all again. I shot it when I was 13 or 14 years old and I know its been shot maybe 2 or 3 times since then. I had no idea it was worth so much nor did my father who didn't maintain it the way I maintain my guns. Luckly it hasn't been fired much at all and he gave it to me because he knew I would take care of it. Here are a couple pics of the holster I have for it. Can you take apart the magazine. The magazine I have that doesn't have matching numbers has a messed up spring most likely from leaving rounds loaded in it. I was goin to try and take it apart and see if I can fix it or get another one.

Thanks so much

Jamie

Attached Files:

8. Danny

Danny Member

Soak the bottom where the holding pin goes & then talk a small punch to knock it out. You may get by with stretching the spring some. It has worked for me in the past. Tom Heller also sells those springs. Look him up on google, he will help you.
    Kind Regards
    Danny:)
  9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Too bad the holster has had a GI cut which destroys almost all of its value. A few parts such as the buckle can be salvaged from it, so it may be worth $30 or so to someone who repairs holsters.
  10. bigman21380

bigman21380 New Member

What is wrong with the holster? It looks fine to me except for age and some scratches.
  11. bigman21380

bigman21380 New Member

I see its been cut.....I just looked at a picture of another one.....Thanks for pointing that out.