1939 PPK 7.65mm question-

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by caveman60, Apr 17, 2012.

1. caveman60

caveman60 New Member

where can i buy a clip for this old gun? (orig. clip is bent) I noticed one on the Cheaperthandirt site that looks like it would work? Has anyone purchased one of these "new" clips for an "old" gun and it worked ok?
    Thank you for any advise you could give me... T
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

You might also try Numrich arms, also there are two types of magazines, one with a rib and one with flat sides. Yours, being a 1939 should take a flat sided magazine, make sure before you order because they are not interchangeable. Also, IMO. cheap is not something you should look for in either a PP or PPK magazine.
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

RJay makes an interesting point about two non interchangeable magazine types for .32 cal. PP's. I do not have detailed knowledge of .32 caliber (7.65 mm) PP's.

Mr. Kurt Krasne of Triple-K is one of thew worlds foremost experts on old pocket pistols. He has published a well known encyclopedia on such. Triple-K is a magazine manufacturer that has "reverse engineered" and produces magazines for common and obscure firearms that are no longer made. They also make OEM magazines and is likely to be the actual replacement magazine manufacturer for magazines that are often sold by magazine vendors like Numrich.

Triple-k has always and still guarantees their mags (that you buy from them) to work in your gun. If not they will furnish another mag or refund your money.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Current Walther PPK magazines should work in that gun, and are available. In spite of Hammerslagger's glowing testimony, my experience with Triple K has not been very satisfactory. I found their magazines cheaply made, too thin, and not heat treated; even when they work, they are often quite different in appearance from the original. I will use them only if there is no alternative.

Jim
  6. caveman60

caveman60 New Member

Thank you Jim K ... I'm ordering ammo from "Cheaperthandirt", so I may as well order the clip and give it a try... Have a great day...T
  7. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Triple-K is listing original Walther PP cal .32 factory mags (item # 72F) for $34.00.

They list their own product to fit (item #72M) for $28.00. They may possibly have have made both in this one world economy. I really do not have an opinion. I would likely order the original Walther mag for $6.00 more.

Jim K's reported experiences with (and opinionas of) Triple-K mags are not unusual.

Triple-K mags often appear to be (and are) more simply (thus cheaply) made than many original factory magazines. When you tool up to make magazines, that you hope to sell at a profit, for often rare pistols, aesthetics often have to be compromised.

The real question is do they usually work as intended? When an original cannot be found, an ugly replacement that works is better than no magazine at all.

Some old, cheap Spanish and other European pistols had to have their magazines individually fitted and sometimes numbered to the pistol. I know of no other replacement magazine maker who guarantees that its product will work in your gun or your money back.

Also, you should be aware that the big Internet and catalog retailers sell a lot of Triple-K magazines. "Cheaper-than-Dirt" is one of them.
  8. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

A search on Ebay for PPK magazine*, after eliminating holster, pouch, 380, .380, "X-Grip", and Umarex left about 20 auctions for actual magazines, many of them listed as original or vintage. A number were made by Mec-Gar, who is a highly regarded maker, I believe.

Unsolicited advice: From my experience, cheap magazines are often false economy. I have repro mags for a Remington 51 and a Sauer 38H that work pretty well - if I don't put more than 5 rounds in them. I have a very solidly made repro magazine for a Webley 1909 9mm that will not fit in the gun at all.

I am surprised that PPK magazines of any vintage will work in a 1939 gun. I had an East German PP in 7.65mm, and post-war mags would almost-but-not-quite work - typically, they would feed, but would not allow the safety to be applied. Commie workmanship, no doubt. HTH!
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The East German guns were not made by Walther (though they were made on Walther tooling that was taken to Suhl) and no one ever got a license or guaranteed anything. They were made by the old DDR for killing enemies of the state, not for future collectors.

I don't have a U.S. made PPK at hand, but I have been told that the magazines (PP/PPKs and PPK) will fit prewar and wartime guns.

I am happy to hear that Triple-K now guarantees their magazines.

Jim
  10. caveman60

caveman60 New Member

Hi again, Just wanted to let you know that I received the clip yesterday. On the box, it states: Walther Magazine, Walther Accessories. Distributed in the U.S.A..by Smith & Wesson. Code:VAF04212 Mag. PPK SS stnd .32... Have not tried it yet, still cleaning this little puppy up. I have a couple of questions, while still on the PPK subject.
    While cleaning the gun, I noticed that the extractor was completely frozen. 1) Has anyone taken this type of PPK apart? I would like to remove it, in order to check the extractor spring and other parts. 2) Has anyone fired the Remington express, .32auto, 71gr. ammo, in an old PPK?
    Any advise would help me get to the range faster... I'm really itching to try it out !!! Have a great day... T
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  11. caveman60

caveman60 New Member

Question 3) Which, in your estimation, is the best .380, and close to the size of a PPK?
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

To remove the extractor from a PP/PPK, you have to remove the safety so the safety plunger and extractor spring and plunger can be removed from the rear, then the extractor can be removed (it usually falls out). To remove the safety, the firing pin has to be pushed all the way forward until it protrudes from the front of the breech face and can be grasped with padded pliers and held until the safety is removed.

There are instructions on the net including videos, just Google "Walther PP disassembly".

As to the best .380 ACP, the Walther PP and PPK come in that caliber, plus there are literally dozens more small pistols in .380 ACP. I have fired some of them, but hesitate to make any recommendation because all I have actually fired worked OK for the limited firing I did.

Jim
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  13. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Opinions will be almost as varied as there are different makers and models.

The PP translates in to English as "Police Pistol" it was introduced in 1929. PPK literally translates as "Police Pistol Criminal" and correctly as "Detective's Pistol" because detectives hunted criminals. While under-powered by US standards, these pistols (and their close copies) have widespread service with many agencies of many world governments.

By today's standards, thanks to George Kelgren of Keltec, Gaston Glock of Glock, and other later designers of many companies; PP's, PPK-S's, & PPK's are in the opinions of many persons somewhat obsolete; or, at least that, one can carry a much lighter and smaller pistol in the same caliber or a much more powerful pistol for about the same size and weight.

If you want the same relative size and weight, I would by a well made 9X19 mm. If you want to stay with the .380 ACP (9X17 mm) caliber I would get a Kel-Tec P-3AT or Ruger LCP which is a close (and somewhat more expensively made) copy of the P-3AT. Kel-Tec has grown into the #3 US firearms maker in recent years, and their quality seems much improved over say ten years ago. Their model PF-9 is likely worth looking at and considering. IT can be had from CDNN for $230.00 plus shipping and what ever receiving fee your FFL charges. Of course your local FFL may have them in stock. It is well regarded by many purchasers. I would buy one myself to evaluate; but do not need another gun.
  14. caveman60

caveman60 New Member

Thank you Jim, for your info... I'll work on the PPK and stop at my local gun shop and look over his inventory. Thank you Hammerslagger, for your suggestions. I will look for those models, that you mentioned, while I'm there.
    Have a great day... T
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

One problem is that many of the .380 ACP pistols especially European ones, were originally designed for the .32 ACP (7.65mm Browning), and some did not convert well to the larger caliber. Walthers have been somewhat ammunition sensitive in .380, with some older Remington ammo failing so badly that Walther included a note with guns exported to the U.S. to use only Winchester-Western or German ammunition.

For that reason, I suggest firing any .380 pistol at least 200 rounds before depending on it for serious purposes.

FWIW, the German word "Kriminal" means detective, not criminal. The word for criminal is Kriminell.

Jim