The Firearms Forum banner

1942 Colt M1911A1

Tags
2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mikebiker 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

First off, thanks for having a forum like this as it has been very educational to me. Secondly, I am hoping you can help me get an idea of the value of this gun. My father passed away a few years ago and I have just started going through his gun collection. Unfortunately, my knowledge of these guns is not good. As my mom is now getting up in age as well, I want to try to get an idea on some of the stuff in his collection. Dad was about just enjoying the guns (as well as the other military) so he didn't really leave us any info about what is what. I have done some research, but am hoping you guys can help me connect some dots and get an idea of value. I probably have lots of of guns that I have questions about, but I will start with this one.

The gun is a Colt M1911A1, Serial number 764952. Based on the serial number, I am pretty sure the gun would have been made in 1942. I found a couple of sites that detailed what the gun markings should be for this weapon and everything seems to match up (including the serial info, MB on the trigger guard, etc.) The only marking that I haven't checked is to see if the serial behind the firing pin plate matches the one on the outside. (I don't know how to take that off yet.) Anyway, I know pictures are preferred, so here is everything I could get. If there is something you want/need to see a photo of that I don't have, let me know and I will be glad to add it.

Again, I know it isn't possible to be 100% accurate, but getting an estimate would be awesome. Just as an FYI, I have another of these Colt 1911's and a couple Remington Rand versions. If anyone wants to see those, let me know.

Thanks for the help guys and I look forward to hearing from everyone!

Brian

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The remove the firing pin and check the serial number, push the firing pin all the ways forwards with a small punch while at the same time pulling the plate down. Be careful as there is a spring on the firing pin that will want to sail into space if allowed. The gun looks very nice and seems original but your pictures show a funky color, especially the ones against the yellow background. Is this gun Parkerized or blued. Some pictures look Parkerized and other blued. If it it is Parkerized you have a real winner here. 2000 to 25oo on a good day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.