The Firearms Forum banner

1942 Turk Mauser

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  nmckenzie 
#1 ·
I recently came in possession of an 8mm Turk Mauser dated 1942. It has been drilled and tapped and had a 4x12 Bushnell scope. I removed the scope to use for another rifle. And the Mauser looked horrible with it on there. It has the full military stock which isn't cracked but is, of course, well worn.
Is this worth keeping in the issued condition or would it be better to convert to a sporter? I already have several Mausers, all sporters in various calibers. I'm not expecting this is a collector piece since it's been drilled.

#2 ·
You are right, never going to be a collector piece now. However, in my experience they do make good shooters. If the stock is not cut or altered it may be worth selling/trading if you are so inclined, otherwise either find a stock you like or glassbed the military stock and go from there.

Turkish rifles do not command the value of german rifles at the best of times and they are a more common sporter. 8mm does make a nice non-magnum hunting round, 196 grain bullets are a common factory load and work well on game. Maybe a bit of overkill, but not as much as the 300 mag ect... and a lot cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.