1943 browning

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BigSam77, Nov 10, 2006.

1. BigSam77

BigSam77 New Member

I have a 1943 browning patent remmington. It is a 12 gauge automatic. typically noticed by its "hump back". It is in excellant shooting condition. I use it for skeet almost monthly. Physically, there is some very minor pitting on the barrel. Is it worth it to re-blue the barrel? Other than that, I would call it above average.
    Any opinions are apreciated. thanks
  2. BigSam77

BigSam77 New Member

just wanted to put it to the top hoping someone can give me a rough estimate.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Big Sam.......welcome to TFF. :)

Sounds like what you have is a Remington Model 11, which is a license-built version of the famous Browning A-5. Remington made approximately 300,000 of these from 1911 to 1948.

The higher grade Model 11s (Special, Tournament, Expert, and Premier) have some collector value.....but if yours is a "plain jane" shooter in average or slightly above average condition (70-80% condition) the value would range from $150 to $275 (depending on whether it has a plain, solid, or vented rib).

If you just want to keep it as a "shooter"......sure, go ahead and reblue it.

A "comfortable" old gun is like a comfortable pair of old sneakers......they may not look great, but they sure do fit well. :)
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

If you would like your shotgun to look better, go ahead and have it professionally reblued. It is customary for people who do a lot of trap or skeet shooting to reblue their guns periodically, and since the guns are not collectible, the value is not affected.
  5. BigSam77

BigSam77 New Member

OK thanks for the info. I guess I was just making sure I didn't have some "mickey mantle card found in the attic" sort of deal. My grandfather just gave it to me last year since he is getting too old to shoot. I use it as my seconday shotgun just for fun. i put about 100-125 shells through per month. Rebluing will help keep it in good condition for me. I appreciate the help.
    Sam
  6. Bodine

Bodine New Member

Curious-Is it a True "American Brng" ie: has the magazine cutoff selector, Browning Logo, "B" prefix in ser#, etc.......or is it a Remington Model 11 ?
  7. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Bodine