1943 mi carbine

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by dopey137, May 2, 2009.

1. dopey137

dopey137 New Member

I have a quality hmc carbine that is a little different than usual. sn 1561xxx
    what is strange is the stock where the sling hooks in is not cut all the way through. wont take an oiler. also is a high cut. I also cant find any markings on it even in the sling area
    the barrel is rock-ola with a P marking
    front sight is just a center post - no side walls marked UQ or OQ
    rear sight is flip style with no stamp markings.
    also has a recoil spring housing.
    Looks like all original parts.
    was wondering - best guess as to value.
    I dont have pics at the moment to post so I know it's difficult
    more info
    sw marked on mag release and hammer
    BE-B marked on trigger housing
    Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

With out the gun in my hot little hands, I will venture a WAG. It sounds like a Santa Fe Special. This company would take military parts if available and crank out " US military Arms, M-1's, 1903's and M 1 carbines ". When they ran out of military surplus parts they switched to commercial parts. You have at least a replacement stock and possibly a replacement barrel. If so, then , if in good shooting condition, maybe 300 to 350.
  3. dopey137

dopey137 New Member

Re: 1943 m1 carbine

so - after doing a lot of research
    the rock-ola barrel in not uncommon - they supplies most of the manufacturers
    the stock is a garbage remake (fake)
    the trigger assembly marked BE-B may be correct for that era
    so now Im on the hunt for an original quality stock and handguard
    the flip sight is correct for that time frame but not sure about it having no marking.
    I uploaded the pics to my album now just trying to figure out how to post them
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
  4. dopey137

dopey137 New Member

figured it out - here are the pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. 45nut

45nut Active Member

You're also missing the barrel cover.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The front sight didnt come thet way dopey. somebody cut the ears from it beacause they probably kept trying to sight thier target with one of the ears as the post. I bought a low numbered Inland GM that had the same thing done to it. also my stock was sanded down and varnished with a clear varnish, the handguard was shaved down flat and a rubber recoil pad added. Why the .30 carbine needs a rubber decellerator is beyond me. I fixed the front sight (they are a pain in the butt to replace) I have yet to replace the stock since my wife shoots it more than me and she likes the stock the way it is, I will probably someday get a paratrooper stock for it.

Back to yours.... It should be worth in the range of 3 to 400 bucks as it is. If I were you, I would do my best to restore it to mil-spec and enjoy it. Auto ordinance has started making them again but they dont 'feel' the same as an original;)
  7. dopey137

dopey137 New Member

I am already looking for another stock the is quality but have to keep to a budget
    I replaced the hand guard and found a recoil spring housing
    I figured out the front sight already - that is was hosed and will be looking to replace it sometime but I will also need to purchase the tool to do it.
    I'm looking at probably 350-450 to fix it back up
  8. dopey137

dopey137 New Member

ohh - yeah
    this should be a flat bolt shouldnt it ???
    this has a round bolt in it and I could not find any markings
    add another 200 to the cost
    Im starting to wonder if it is really worth the effort
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the round bolt is fine. that was probably added during one of its arsenal rebuilds. The round bolt and the safety lever as apposed to a safety button were considered improvements and all arsenal rebuilds were fitted with them as well as the flip adjustable aperture rear sight. I was lucky enough to have bought a liberated one from an old timer here in my town of residence and it still retains all its original parts except the safety, which i did upgrade to the lever type because i kept mistaking the sfaety for the mag-release and dropping my mag all the time.

The front sights are replaceable with a good brass or nylon hammer and a punch. I beat mine on there with the handle of my ball peen hammer.

Below are some pics of what im talking about. Note the sight is marked RIA. That was the only sight i could find availabe at the time i replaced it. The rest of the rifle is Inland GM sept. 1943...

Attached Files:

10. dopey137

dopey137 New Member

considering the cost to restore this to original specs, 400-500 in parts
    I cant justify the spending right now. I am 1 of the 5+ million on unemployment.
    I decided to sell it off to somebody who will take the time to restore it.
    I appreciate all the info though. This was a fantastic learning experience in history.
    my next project is to work on an 1850's fowler shotgun. It is a l.e.g belgium 300 dollar wall hanger but worth the time to restore. All the parts are there just need to clean it up.
    Again thank you for all the input