1943 US&S 1911A1

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by berto64, Oct 7, 2006.

1. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Won this on auction arms and picked it up yesterday.

It's in poor condition (which I knew) but functional. Not bad for a smoothbore. That's OK, I've got a barrel for it but the pitted surface will be a challenge.

I'll try & post pics when I can.
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

How much? Switch and Signal 1911A1s are worth a TON! They only made like 50,000 of them!

The slide on my .45 is actually an Ithaca, so it was made sometime during WWII...on the ONE hand every time I reblue it I cringe, but then again it wasn't ME that seperated it from it's matching Ithaca frame! I bought it when it was on a "shooter" alloy Essex frame at a show...and MAINLY because it had high rise BoMars on it, and a HIGH undercut front sight....

But the FUNNY thing is I bought a "parts" kit from a guy in the early 80s who said his father "stole" it while he was in the Navy in WWII intending to build a 1911 but never found a frame, it was a BRAND NEW still in the wax paper Remington-Rand slide and barrel, with ALL the parts to build one EXCEPT the frame...I gave $50 for it, and put all THAT on the alloy frame and sold IT, and used the money to buy my AMT frame and everything else I needed to build my .45....

But I STILL get a kick out of guys who look at my "homebuilt" .45 and say, 'WOW, when did Ithaca start making new Combat .45s???:eek: ":p

You KNOW Berto, if it is "past" restoring to stock, and you got it cheap enough, it would be cool to CUSTOMIZE since you will have to polish it down and refinish it ANYWAY....just to get the "collectors" clutching their chests when you pull it out ansd show them what you DID to a "stock" US and S!:D :D :D :D
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  3. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I Paid $600 for it, and just took it out & shot it this PM.
    Functioned perfectly with a nice trigger pull.

The AMT SS performed well but with a really stiff trigger.

The brand new High Standard worked well with ball, I forgot to take extra Hydra Shoks for it.

The rest of them were just loads of fun to shoot.
  4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Sounds like a great day!

Looking forward to pics! :)
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Congrats on the purchase
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Been trying to talk a local guy out of either a Singer or US&S 1911 for years. He knows what he has, but doesn't know what he has, if you know what I mean. I've offered him fair prices, but he really doesn't want to sell - its a family gun.
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

That Singer alone is in the $40,000 range! ;)
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Yeah, I've never seen it, and he quibbles on whether it is a Switch or a Singer - its a family gun so he'll never sell it, don't know that he has ever taken out of the cigar box that he received it in. But, being the gun nut that I am I bug him about it a good bit.
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Keep bugging him 45, maybe some day he'll give in. Would bet a dollar to a donut he does not know what he has if it is a Singer! Stay well.

IPT
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Right after returning from my last tour in Vtm, I had an opportunity to buy a beautifully blued Singer 1911 for $300.

I bought a 38 Sp. for $40 instead. Still kicking myself over that one 30+ yrs later.
  11. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I hear ya, I think us gun folks have as many "the one that got away" stories as fishermen....:)