1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

1950s colt commander custom

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Shep, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Shep

Shep Member

Here is one that is hard for me to judge the value.
    Most of the time when someone makes up a gun like this they display it and don`t shoot it much. But this one has seen a fair amount of use.
    It`s a 1950s Colt Commander Lightweight, nickel, .38 Super. Someone has gold plated the hammer, trigger, safety, slide, release, ect.
    The grips are solid silver (but I`m sure they are not pure silver) and much thinker than the ones you see made today. Gold plate on the raised areas of the grips.
    More than a little wear on the gold plating on the grips, safety, trigger, and
    hammer. No damage, just wear from use. The nickel has a few small areas where it is beginning to flake, but is in overall pretty good shape.
    I`d rate the whole gun as 85% condition.
    What you estimate the value as?

Attached Files:

2. wpage

wpage Active Member

Very nice!
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The gun was not nickeled originally. I would treat it as a refinished shooter. The grips are nickel silver (which contains no real silver.)
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The grips look very similar to a set of grips I bought in Mexico 25 years ago, and stamped on the backs is ".925," which indicates the silver content. I believe these are also Mexican since they bear the Mexican eagle, and I would estimate the value of the grips alone at around $200.