1951 Marlin 336

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Big Shrek, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

At what point does a rifle become a C&R relic??

I've just bought a 1951 Marlin 336 waffle-top, and was kinda curious.

Along with a 1960 Marlin 99-G (model 60 varient with ballard rifling).

I also own a 1913 Marlin 37 slide-action which is definitely in that category... :)

And if I keep collecting old Marlins, will I be required to get a C&R license??
    It's starting to become a habit...freeking addictive habit, too ;)
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    AS LONG AS YOU PURCHASE THESE GUNS UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS YOU DO NOT NEED A SPECIAL PERMIT..........A C AND R PERMIT ENABLES YOU TO PURCHASE GUNS DIRECTLY FROM THE WHOLESALE DEALER,MOST TIMES THESE ARE NON FIRING GUNS OLD SEMPERFI
  3. Popeye

Popeye New Member

As OLD SEMPERFI stated, a C&R License (FFL 03) is not necessary to purchase old firearms.

This site contains very good basic information about the C&R License http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp

Just as an aside. The vast majority of C&R weapons are not "non firing".

Some examples of C&R weapons
    M1 Garand
    M1903 Springfield
    M1 .30 Carbine
    M1917 Enfield
    Every Mosin Nagant rifle ever made
    Walther P.38

Definition of a C&R weapon

What is a Curio or Relic, ala Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) part 178, section 178.11

Curios or Relics: Firearms which are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of
    the following categories:

(a) Firearms that were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;

(b) Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

(c) Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.
  4. wpage

wpage Active Member

Looks like you are certainly over the 50 year criteria in article a...
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

If you want to collect them at dealer cost in some cases and have them shipped to your house its a good idea. Its only 30 bucks for 3 years. After you get your C&R you can submit the License to places like Brownells and Midway and start getting dealer cost. Also you can start ordering right from the suppliers. Most suppliers won't have Marlins but if you find one online you can have is shipped directly to you and save youself the 20 bucks or so in transfer fees.

My first order at midway after getting my C&R and using dealer cost saved me like 50 bucks so it pays for itself fast.
    Also as Popeye stated just b/c its a C&R doesn't mean it doesn't shoot. I would say that almost everything that I have seen that C&R qualifies shoots just fine. You may find an occasional wall hanger but buying them from a supplier, you'll never see that unless that's what your wanting.
  6. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Yep, starting to look like it would be a good idea to get a C&R.

Especially in reguards to getting parts :)

At least now I know it's not a neccesity...but a good thing to have :D