1952 Russian sks

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by brsmith724, May 15, 2012.

1. brsmith724

brsmith724 New Member

Hello I'm new to this site i was referred by a person who goes by the name goofy anyways i was wanting to know some of the history of my 1952 Russian sks i took some pics of the stamps i was told may help figure out some of its history

Attached Files:

2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Hi brsmith724 Welcome to TFF!!!
    Some one will be along to answer your questions.
    This is a friend of mine So to all that can answer his questions Thanks!!
    He is concerned about making changes to his sks so he brought it up to the shop and I took a look at it.
    It is in great cond. and he needs some history of it He has changed the stock(but has the original) and is worried about messing up the value by making changes.So I told him about TFF and all the great people and knowledge here.
    As he stated this is a Russian sks in great cond.It did not look like it was used in combat it does not have the used look on the stock or metal. The bore and action is tight.He wanted to know it's value and if possible some history.I told him I think the stamp of the CDI swan VT is a import stamp but I am not sure.
    This is out of my field so it is up to you all to help him.
    If you need more pic. just tell him.I told him to take pic of the stamps that I thought would help but there are other ones on the gun but they looked like inspection stamps.
    Thanks
    Mike
    brsmith put up a couple of pics. of the hole gun this could help.
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  3. brsmith724

brsmith724 New Member

Ok here it the sks with orignal stock

Attached Files:

4. brsmith724

brsmith724 New Member

and here is some stamps with baking soda to show them better

Attached Files:

5. Rampant Colt

Rampant Colt New Member

6. brsmith724

brsmith724 New Member

yes all numbers are matching
  7. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Not bad;) I thought they were the import marks.Now if we can get some one who knows tell you it's value and anything about it.:) Someone here should know.
    Mike
    I went to the site that Rampant Colt put up and that gives allot of info.
    Thanks Rampant Colt!!!:thumbsup:
  8. brsmith724

brsmith724 New Member

yes all numbers are matching the only part that is odd is the gas tube it seems to be scratched in not stamped
  9. brsmith724

brsmith724 New Member

Awesome thanks for the feedback now should i Leave it in original condition because of value or opinion??
  10. Rampant Colt

Rampant Colt New Member

You're welcome. Because of value. You can fit it up with an aftermarket stock from several different companies that will ensure you don't somehow damage the wood.

PS--nice rifle!!
  11. brsmith724

brsmith724 New Member

thanks. i took off the stock and a lot of original parts and wrapped them with silica packets and replaced them with tapco parts. nothing Ive done so far cant be reversed
  12. brsmith724

brsmith724 New Member

This is what it looks like today

Attached Files:

13. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

The SKS was produced and/or adopted by a host of combloc countries. The Russian made originals are only surpassed in value by the rare N. Korean version.
    Your rifle was re-furbished by the markings, as most were, but there are some that were "unissued". Yours looks to be in excellent shape, and would bring on average about $400+ depending on location. A clean example like yours can and will, bump up to the $600 mark on the auctions.
    During the re-furb, later model parts may have been used as replacements. This website will show you how to ID each part right down to the correct cleaning kit. JMO, keep it original, a Russian SKS is not loosing any value. If you want to have a "tacticool mall ninja" shooter, get a Yugo SKS and put the Tapco stuff on it. ;)
    http://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm
  14. brsmith724

brsmith724 New Member

Well that's not bad news thanks but I'm not into the yugo sks id rather have a paratrooper any ideas on the cost of one?
  15. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

There's two types of "paratroopers" both made in China for the US market, until they were banned. The first ones are a standard SKS cut down, then came the SKSS with a short gas tube unique to that model. Either variation will run about $450.