1953 Ruskie sks

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Zigzag2, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

m4ranger
    (11/4/02 11:13:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 1953 Ruskie sks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just bought a 53' tula. was wondering how i find the imoprt date or whatever i need to do or know to be able to put a folder on the rifle. I live in CO and know we are pretty lax about gun laws, but i sure would hate to get popped for a fed violation and lose my whole stash.

Thanks in advance.
    Dave

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/4/02 11:53:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 1953 Ruskie sks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good luck. Your best bet is to look for the importer's stamp and try to locate that company. But 99.9% of the time, they won't give you any info on it. With all the guns they import, the records for your rifle are probably packed away in some huge warehouse or have been destroyed/lost.

Having said that, all Russian SKS's are pre-ban. The pre-ban issue really only affects the Chinese (Norinco) SKS's, since they were the ones that got all the attention in the late '80's and early '90's. It had more to do with political posturing with Communist China than the merits of the gun itself. They were made specifically for export to the U.S., whereas the Russian SKS's are C&R eligible weapons and hold historical value.

Now, to further complicate matters, I quote the following from www.simonov.net :

Quote:
    FOLDING OR COLLAPSIBLE STOCKS: An imported Simonov with a folding stock is illegal to possess. A U.S. made SKS with folding stock and accepts detachable magazines is illegal. A U.S. made SKS with a FIXED magazine and folding stock is entirely legal to possess if suitable for sporting purposes.

EXPLANATION: On July 7th, 1989 various military style rifles were banned from importation by the Secretary of the Treasury. Listed was the "SKS style rifle with folding stock, folding bayonet, or detachable magazine. Pre-ban or not, it is illegal to install a folder on a long gun with a detachable magazine. However, if the rifle had a folding stock and detachable installed BEFORE date of the ban, it can legally keep the folding stock. Of course, provided there is some sort of PROOF the rifle is indeed 'PRE-BAN' and the folding stock was attached before Nov 1990.

Since your SKS didn't have the folding stock before 1990, you're out of luck with installing it legally. Well, actually, you can install it, but you have to replace the folding mechanism with a non-folding adapter.

In order to make your SKS a "U.S. made SKS", you would have to replace enough parts in it with U.S. made parts that it would meet the legal requirements. And that's a whole other subject.

Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Edited by: 1952Sniper at: 11/4/02 11:54:49 am

m4ranger
    (11/4/02 12:15:17 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del re
    so let me get this straight then....it falls under C&R right and being so its legal to put a folder on it then right?

f****ng feds and all these laws and amendments to the laws. I just hate having to leave the sks at home when we load up and go shooting, or have to put the old wood back on gets to be a pain.

Keep it clean, guys. LTS

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 11/4/02 12:57:56 pm

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/4/02 2:12:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: re
    C&R, pre-ban, it doesn't matter. Unless you can prove that you had that folding stock on there before it was outlawed, then it's illegal to install.

m4ranger
    (11/5/02 1:29:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del re
    So i have to be able to prove it? how can they prove otherwise. i see them all the time at gunshows and who really knows? If I cant find the import date, who says they can........unreal.

so then i ask this question....i bought a mini14 back in early 93 so its preban for sure, I know that. i can legally put a folder on that sucker right?

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/5/02 8:26:20 pm)
    I don't know nuthin' about mini-14's. But I would assume the legalities are the same. Regardless of pre-ban status, if it has enough US-made parts to qualify as a US-made firearm and it has a fixed magazine, and it has some type of sporting purpose, then I would think that's OK.

As for proving pre-ban status, that burden is on you. The BATF doesn't assume you're innocent until proven guilty. They assume guilt until innocence is proven. Legally, you have to have documentation that shows pre-ban status. Not hearsay from Bubba at the gun show that told you it was pre-ban. Not even the price tag that says "pre-ban SKS". You must have either a sales receipt that shows you bought it before the ban, or some type of import papers (or an import date stamped on the rifle).

You hit the nail on the head when you said you see it all the time at gunshows. That's the scary part. These dealers are totally ignorant of the law, and it's only a matter of time before political pressure forces the BATF to crack down on this type of stuff. I would like to think that the BATF has more important work to do than busting otherwise law-abiding citizens for having bayonets or folding stocks. But in today's political climate, you never know. I like to err on the safe side.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/5/02 9:47:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: re
    You can contact Ruger, give them the serial number that's
    on your Mini-14 and request a letter of Pre-Ban validation,
    or a letter of day/month/year of manufacture of your rifle,
    that is usually sufficiant proof of pre-ban status.

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/6/02 10:26:34 am)
    The key here is "Detachable Magazine" and since a true SKS does not have one, it does not matter. That could change depending on your state and local laws though. As it stands, SKS`s with the exception of a few Norinco`s were never classified as an assualt rifle.

LTS

m4ranger
    (11/6/02 10:32:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del RE
    Well since i live on Colorado, and i know there are no laws against having Hi cap mags on any weapons...i hope it wont be a problem.

Good news on our front, Republican sweep last night for State Gov & Sen.........thank god we have six more years of no more gun control. Gotta love it.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/6/02 10:37:52 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: RE
    Understand, it must remain as it was made----concerning the magazine, period !!

If you add a high capacity magazine, fixed or not.....then add the folding stock, you have constructed an assualt rifle and will be in violation of the assualt weapons laws. It does not matter if your state has no laws concerning high capacity magazines, as that does not apply in this issue.

LTS

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/6/02 10:44:21 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: RE
    Yeah, the laws referred to are Federal laws, which supercede your state laws.