1953 Russian SKS (Tula) Price?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by miniguy, Jun 9, 2007.

1. miniguy

miniguy New Member

I was just offered $250 for a 1953 Russian SKS with bayonet. It has Tula markings, all serial numbers matching, excellent condition, cleaning kit in the butt, strap. The barrel is in excellent condition. How much is this SKS worth? Have prices come down that much?

Thanks for any help.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Mini the Tula's are starting out in the $300's and up on www.brandx.com , With the SKS the blue book doesn't reflect current market value. Although the newest blue book prices show a dramatic increase in prices
  3. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Real Russian SKS' are still the more expensive of the SKS family, ranging from $300 to $500+. I'm not sure how much it was, before.
  4. miniguy

miniguy New Member

Thanks for the info. I suspected that the offer was just a little low. I have seen 1953's on brandx for $350 to $580, but now sure if they actually sell for that much.
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah, Mini, that is too low for a Russian...at shows oir shops I rarely see any Russians or Chinese for less than $350 now....and even the few Romanians around from just a few years ago at $99 are going for $250 now...

The only "cheap" ones now are the Yugos, but even the dealers that still have them have been slowly raising the prices, I don't think they will be around very long...I'm actually thinking of picking up another "shooter grade" from SOG for like $129 now just to have two... one to keep stock, the other to modify a little
  6. Larry G

Larry G New Member

I am picking up an as-new Chinese SKS with the original bayonet this afternoon for $200. The gent I'm buying it from is also including a couple hundred rounds of ammo.
    Is the Chinese version worth the 200 or does that seem a bit high?
  7. southernshooter

That seems like a great price especially with the ammo
  8. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Well, got my Chinese SKS home last night. The weapon looks brand new with the long spike bayonet attached. The 'couple of hundred rounds' he included turned out to be 400. AND a gun case to boot.
    Only thing left to do is get a cleaning kit, get some stripper clips and remove the bayonet (don't plan on sticking anything in the foreseeable future), which brings up my only question. How do I remove the bayonet?
  9. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Forgot to mention, the ammo id Wolf brand 122 gr, steel case. Seems to me that the ammo is worth almost as much as the rifle!
  10. southernshooter

Their should just be a screw thru the side of it, take it off slowly cause their is a spring in their. Something to keep in mind is ATI makes a bi-pod that mounts to the bayonet mount
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  11. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

HEY Southern is the ATI one as good as the original? Maybe made out of polymer so it's lighter, AND undetectable my metal detectors?:D

I know, I Know, he meant BIPOD, but I couldn't resist FUNNING him....;) :p :D :D

And $200 for a Chinese in almost any condition is a STEAL now, WITHOUT the extras....you did OK....
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  12. southernshooter

Whoops my bad Polish
  13. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Thanks Polish & Shooter. Yeah, I feel good about the SKS I got and the ammo. The bayonet for me is useless since it will be a 'work' gun. I'm not going to mess with it either, the stock 10 round mag is plenty for me, but what's this about a bi-pod? Can one be fit to my SKS?
  14. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Just re-read Shooter's comment, sorry I asked again about fitting a bipod. How much would one cost and do you have a link for a vendor?
  15. Larry G

Larry G New Member

I located the site for the bipod, $40 ain't bad
  16. southernshooter

17. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Shooter, a bit more advice please. Are most of the parts from a Yugo 59/66 model SKS interchangeable with the Chinese 56 SKS? Which parts are NOT interchangeable?